Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mob mentality
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reading alot before i go away, and iv'e be asked/ forced to do a research paper on lord of the flies. my question is, " is the presence of savegery in Lord Of The Flies present in today's scociety?"

> everyone should read the fantasy book " blood and Chocolate!"

Posts: 1 | Location: canada | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Julianna:

To answer your question:::

The worst stories in literature and history are EVER present. Up to 70 million people died in World War 2. An estimated 100 Million unborn children are aborted every year in the world...75 million reported, and an estimated 20-30 million unreported).
There are famines...murders, invasions of mad leaders into defenseless peoples, for instance, like the Congo. There are currently about 52 wars going on in the world today. That's Fifty-Two!! You only hear about Iraq...but there are 51 others as well. Former US President Jimmy Carter's: 'Carter Center' ...keeps track of ALL wars in the world today...

____

This world is full of every kind of madness you can think and/or imagine.

Yes... there are many 'Lord of the Flies' situations and scenarios in the world today! War-Lords like Pol Pot (now deceased) and others are a sort of 'Lord of the Flies' mentallity.

There is a reason for all this. But, you are breathed a soul by God with a redeeming...meaning an overcoming...ability. We are always given choices. Our best, or our worst... The worst doesn't need any help by our own..Mankind is inbred with decay...the Best requires God's help. For the Christian, that's the saving life Christ gives to a believer.

_

By the way...
Ray Bradbury has a new website...and THIS one here is the old one. Try the new one, and it has a great archival resources, a search engine, etc etc ...and lots of poeple there...

See:
http://www.raybradbury.com

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a popular theme in the 50s and 60s,
i.e. the veneer of civilization covering the beast within. I'm reminded of a few "Twilight Zone" episodes...
I agree with Nard, too, as to this theme being reflected in present situations. Looting during disasters is a good example too.
F.Y.I, there is a "book on tape" of "Lord of the Flies" read by Golding himself with comments that are quite enlightening. I found it at my local library.

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 12-12-2005).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um, Julianna...what exactly do you mean by today's society? Ever look at a newspaper? TV news broadcast? News online?

"Lord of the Flies" was made as a black-and-white film in the early 1960s, before all the riots that characterized the later years of that decade. Years later, when it was remade in color, it simply lacked its original shock value. There were, by then, as Siskel and Ebert aptly pointed out, "a whole lot of Jacks and very few Ralphs" left in the world. I'd say if anything things have gone down a good bit since the book was originally published. Check out events at the original Woodstock and the disastrous anniversary concert (I think it was the 30th.)

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post