Ray Bradbury Forums
Another question for the Experts

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/7801031241

01 August 2005, 12:03 AM
AlphaCat
Another question for the Experts
Hello,

I've read through all 10 pages of "Need short story title" requests but no one asked after the one I am seeking...

As per usual, I'm not positive it is, in fact, Bradbury but hopefully someone can set me in the right direction.

I read this story in a periodical in grade school (circa 1983/1985). It was about a society in which the government forced everyone to be "equal". If someone was too intelligent, they were made to wear headphones that intermittently emitted loud noises to destroy the train of thought. If someone was too handsome, they were made to wear a mask - too strong and one was made to wear weights. The main character was inhibited by all of these things because he was handsome, strong and smart. He rebelled, the reader caught one brief glimpse of the shining youth, and I believe he was hunted down and shot. A wee bit dark, but a great story, nonetheless.

Ringing any bells for anyone? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.
01 August 2005, 02:44 AM
philnic
Hi Alphacat.

That story sounds like it might be "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut. It often pops up here because people seem to think its by Bradbury. I'm surprised your searching of the message board didn't find it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
01 August 2005, 09:25 AM
AlphaCat
Phil -

If someone mentioned they were looking for a title - I read it, honest! Wink Thank you for your response - I'll research it, the name sounds vaguely familiar, even through the haze of 20 years.

Much obliged,
AlphaCat
01 August 2005, 11:12 AM
Nard Kordell
AlphaCat;
http://www.raybradburyboard.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/...631060011#1631060011
02 August 2005, 02:25 AM
dandelion
When I mentioned to Bradbury that "Harrison Bergeron" was among the top three stories most often wrongly attributed to him, he was mildly provoked, as he found Vonnegut's attitude a bit negative.
02 August 2005, 02:31 AM
Robert M Blevins
So it goes.

(A bit of Vonnegut humor)