Ray Bradbury Forums
What Are You Reading? II

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/5571014362

31 January 2011, 09:57 PM
Braling II
What Are You Reading? II
Finished "Crime and Punishment" and am about to start on "Brothers"...

BH, I too recently read "The Smile"!
Wonderful!
12 February 2011, 07:19 AM
fjp451
We are about to analyze the movie (original, of course) of Moby Dick in classes. Someone should share this with Mr. Bardbury:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_...k-captain-discovered
12 February 2011, 07:31 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Someone should share this with Mr. Bardbury

Would he be the new "bard"?

"Live Forever!"
12 February 2011, 08:19 PM
dandelion
Kewl, but by "original" I assume you mean the 1956 version with Gregory Peck, not the lame-o 1930 one with John Barrymore?
13 February 2011, 02:57 PM
Braling II
Just finished the latest Lincoln Rhyme story, "The Burning Wire" - a shocker!
19 February 2011, 12:05 PM
Martian (Ruth S. Hare)
I'm reading 'R is for Rocket' again (after many years) and 'The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets' by Helen Vendler (a hefty but ultimately very rewarding volume!). Also flicking through a Robert Mitchum biography (he was also something of a precocious writer in his youth).

I've just finished 'A Curtain of Green', a collection of short stories by Eudora Welty, which was wonderful. My favourite story was 'The Key'.

I've got a long list of books to read in future - probably a lot of poetry and hopefully one good novel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martian (Ruth S. Hare),

___________________________________________________________________________________
"The key word is love... get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for!”
21 February 2011, 10:36 AM
Braling II
"One For The Road"; picked up at a low price at a local going-out-of-business Borders...
02 March 2011, 03:30 PM
jkt
That Old Black Magic (Louis Prima, Keely Smith and the Golden Age of Las Vegas) by Tom Clavin

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
02 March 2011, 09:01 PM
Doug Spaulding
Listen to the Echoes

"Live Forever!"
03 March 2011, 12:28 AM
philnic
Still on The Martian Chronicles (again).

Or, technically, The Silver Locusts, since it is my UK paperback version from the late '70s that I'm reading. [Only with the 1970s TV miniseries of MC did UK publishers finally switch the title to match the American title.]

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
06 March 2011, 09:01 AM
critter
Just bought "The Martian Chronicles", the memory of which has served to inspired some poetry over the years. First reading was close to 40 years ago.
09 March 2011, 07:19 PM
Linnl
The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury Volume I: 1938 - 1943. Smiler
09 March 2011, 07:50 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
The Collected Stories of Ray Bradbury Volume I: 1938 - 1943. Smiler

My postperson brought mine today, too.

"Live Forever!"
13 May 2011, 07:25 PM
jkt
I am the lucky recipient of an uncorrected proof of Becoming Ray Bradbury by Professor Jonathan R. Eller. If the rest of the book is half as good as the first chapter I see a Pulitzer nomination coming.
13 May 2011, 10:20 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I am the lucky recipient of an uncorrected proof of Becoming Ray Bradbury by Professor Jonathan R. Eller. If the rest of the book is half as good as the first chapter I see a Pulitzer nomination coming.

Just imagine how good the corrected version will be!

"Live Forever!"