Ray Bradbury Forums
A house with an infinite inside?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/51010122

21 February 2009, 04:43 PM
HDSM
A house with an infinite inside?
Many years ago I read a short story by Bradbury about a house that, while looking somewhat normal on the outside, was vast and infinite inside. I can't seem to find the name of the story. It has interesting spiritual and psychological meaning, since a house in dreams is often about one's soul and self. Ray Bradbury's creative image of a house with an infinite inside is very thought-provoking. Anybody know the story?
21 February 2009, 05:59 PM
Nard Kordell
My guess:
'not' Bradbury.
22 February 2009, 04:26 PM
tinkerbell
Could this be Robert A Heinlein's "And he built a crooked house"?
23 February 2009, 04:09 AM
philnic
I had the same thought as tinkerbell (although I couldn't remember Heinlein's title). I seem to recall Heinlein's house was a tesseract or hypercube. Not exactly infinite, but extending into dimensions we cannot directly perceive.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
23 February 2009, 10:30 AM
Doug Spaulding
Tesseract is a good word.

"Live Forever!"
25 February 2009, 12:27 PM
douglasSP
I also thought of Tinkerbell's suggestion.
25 February 2009, 03:30 PM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
I also thought of Tinkerbell's suggestion.

Maybe the Winchester House, in N. California?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
02 April 2009, 07:31 AM
mr.woodworth
I believe that you must be thinking of "House Of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. However, it is not a short story, but rather a huge novel. I highly recommend it. It's brilliant. Honestly brilliant.
02 April 2009, 05:40 PM
Braling II
Welcome aboard, Mr. Woodworth!
Please update the "So...Where Y'All From?" thread! (I believe it's under "Ray's Legacy")