Ray Bradbury Forums
This one Short that keeps escaping me

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/4121006372

03 February 2005, 08:38 AM
Jay-Ra
This one Short that keeps escaping me
Hiya,

I'm trying to track down this short story that I read years ago. It was published in a French edition of collected shorts.
The story deals with a writer whose Typewriter starts talking/typing to him. n reality it is a princess from the future who wants the writer to kill a politician who will become a dictator in the future and enslave her...

Any ideas would be much appreciated
07 February 2005, 12:33 AM
Zang
That one's called "Tomorrow and Tomorrow". I've got it in a book called "Time Untamed" (1965) which includes stories by some of my other favourites like Sturgeon, Simak & Leiber. It was originally published in the pulp mag; Fantastic Adventures, May 1947.

Cheers!
07 February 2005, 01:04 AM
grasstains
I've never read that one, it sounds really cool.

Zang, you've got good taste. Simak and Sturgeon are two of my favorites as well.
07 February 2005, 11:47 PM
Zang
grasstains: It's alright, not one of Ray's best, but still pretty good.

I just discovered this site yesterday. I've hunted around for something for fans of vintage Sci-Fi, without much luck. For years, I primarily read Philip K. Dick and Kurt Vonnegut Jr.. More recently, I started exploring some more authors. For the past couple of years, I've really been getting into Ray Bradbury, Theodore Sturgeon, Lewis Padgett (AKA Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore), Clifford D. Simak & Fritz Leiber. Ray's stuff stands out above the rest, though. I was blown away by "The Martian Chronicles". I really like some of his non-genre stuff too, like some of the stories in "A Medicine for Melancholy".

What are some of your favourite books/stories/authors?

I just finished Simak's "Over The River and Through the Woods". The title-story, "Neighbor" and "The Big Front Yard" were among the best I've read of his short stories.