Ray Bradbury Forums
Name the Ray Bradbury Story

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/2701008223

30 January 2012, 12:41 AM
Ronald Nelson
Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Yes, I agree with you.This story is something interesting but the message is something confusing.

(Another spam signature removed. The next one I see gets the whole message deleted without warning - Phil)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,
30 January 2012, 08:37 PM
greenray
Linnl, thank you for your contribution. This is going to be great!
04 February 2012, 07:40 AM
Linnl
greenray, you are welcome.

Original quote: "God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival. her soul stayed lit."

Another: "Our lips moved at last, saying the words soundlessly."

Good luck all.
06 February 2012, 06:17 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
"God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival, her soul stayed lit."

I like it. I think I'll use it.

"Live Forever!"
18 February 2012, 06:58 PM
Linnl
"She gazed back at him with a gaze that was calm, steady, and honest as the plains were long, hot, empty, and dry."
21 February 2012, 12:11 PM
dragonfly
quote:
"She gazed back at him with a gaze that was calm, steady, and honest as the plains were long, hot, empty, and dry."

One Night In Your Life?
21 February 2012, 07:06 PM
Linnl
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
One Night In Your Life?

Nice guess dragonfly, but this story's title is still in the wire fence.

Where is Braling II? You know this story. Hope you are well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,
22 February 2012, 02:10 PM
Braling II
quote:
She gazed back at him with a gaze that was calm, steady, and honest as the plains were long, hot, empty, and dry."

Linnl!
Long time, no post!

I'm still at large.
Been in the box in that damp cellar for a while, though.

Is it "Somewhere a Band is Playing" perhaps?

(Missed the "wire fence" allusion...)
22 February 2012, 07:47 PM
Linnl
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Is it "Somewhere a Band is Playing" perhaps?

Braling II! Hope you are keeping well oiled and convincing as ever!

This story is not "Somewhere a Band is Playing."

Here is a final line clue: "My brother didn't hit me, I didn't hit my brother, carefully, secretly, until just before noon when we got out to water the flowers by the side of the road."
24 February 2012, 06:46 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Here is a final line clue: "My brother didn't hit me, I didn't hit my brother, carefully, secretly, until just before noon when we got out to water the flowers by the side of the road."

I read this recently! But I disremember the title.

"Live Forever!"
29 February 2012, 04:54 PM
Braling II
Same here!
The "hitting my brother" especially.

Rats.
29 February 2012, 06:41 PM
Linnl
The title of this story seems to have flown the coop!

I seem to remember Bradbury saying all his books or stories are autobiographical, this one seems especially so. Wonderful writing.

Incidentally, this story is known by two different titles, one more so than the other. So you can either go to court over it, or leave your keys at the desk, check out, and hit the road Jack. Big Grin
01 March 2012, 12:24 PM
Doug Spaulding
Now I remember when and where I read it! It was to Ray a few months ago. I was visiting, and he asked me to read the table of contents of a book. I did, and he asked for me to read The Inspired Chicken Motel for him. I did read.

It was also one of my favourites - eggcellent!

"Live Forever!"
01 March 2012, 07:12 PM
Linnl
Cool & Right! Also known as The Inspired Chicken Bungalow Court.

The message on the egg: Rest In Peace. Prosperity Is Near. I'm aware that people in the 30s and 40s used the word prosperity in a more inclusive fashion than nowadays, although I'm not sure one necessarily gets that from this story. And having seen many a family passing through, the lady who runs the motel seems to be some silent facilitator/sage or augur. The sensitivity the narrator gains for the father is lovely.

Your turn Douglas!
02 March 2012, 11:30 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Your turn Douglas!

"He listened to the dry-grass rustle of the old witches' voices beneath his open window."

"Live Forever!"