Ray Bradbury Forums
Name the Ray Bradbury Story

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/2701008223

04 May 2011, 10:50 AM
Braling II
Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Oooh! Nice writing!
But, yes, I'm afraid most of what I own (and therefore have read) was printed in the 20th Century.
05 May 2011, 07:57 AM
fjp451
Nice to see you on the old trail again, BrII!! How goes all?
07 May 2011, 02:13 PM
Braling II
Well, pard, got laid off (again) mid-March. Playing music, just finished singing Beethoven's 9th in a 100+ voice choir & 50+ piece orchestra; but sure could use some steady income (& medical insurance!). Livin' on beans is OK for a while on the trail...
10 May 2011, 07:48 PM
Linnl
Hang in there, Braling II.

The Name the Ray Bradbury Story line:

"There waited the great pool of grass with its tender heads of clover and its devil weed, with its old acorns hidden, with its ant civilizations."

and the follow-up clue line:

"As the body of a boy on a sweltering July day yearns toward swimming holes, so the feet are drawn to oceans of oak-cooled grass and seas of minted clover and dew."

Not a clue, but crayfish were mentioned a while back Smiler. Artist unknown.

BradburyRx

13 May 2011, 11:49 PM
Braling II
You know, I can't find my copy of Medicine for Melancholy. Rats.
11 June 2011, 07:38 PM
Linnl
Well, heck.

"The pompous, nuzzling big white toe, jamming into cool dark earth, the little toes picking at milky-purple clover buds, and now, just standing, the hot feet drowning in cool tides of grass."
08 July 2011, 07:06 PM
Linnl
Still no takers. Confused
I suppose there are too many stickers in the yard.
08 July 2011, 08:43 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
The pompous, nuzzling big white toe, jamming into cool dark earth, the little toes picking at milky-purple clover buds, and now, just standing, the hot feet drowning in cool tides of grass.

Ah, the thread most often forgotten. Alas - I do not know the answer.

"Live Forever!"
04 August 2011, 07:16 AM
Linnl
This is from "The Waders", a short-short collected in Summer Morning, Summer Night. Currently available in trade paperback.
04 August 2011, 07:04 PM
Braling II
Rats.
29 January 2012, 08:16 AM
greenray
Have we stopped playing this game? Linnl, carry on, please.
29 January 2012, 08:55 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Have we stopped playing this game?...

No, we were just waiting for you to come back!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
29 January 2012, 05:14 PM
Linnl
As Ed Chigliak might say...Well alllright!

"God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival, her soul stayed lit."
29 January 2012, 05:50 PM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
As Ed Chigliak might say...Well alllright!

"God's breath threatened to blow out her wits, but somehow, with awe at her own survival, her soul stayed lit."

No idea what story it's from, but awesome quote. Is this one special for me? I feel I've been getting a big fat message from the universe lately, and it ain't nice.
29 January 2012, 06:34 PM
Linnl
quote:
No idea what story it's from, but awesome quote. Is this one special for me? I feel I've been getting a big fat message from the universe lately, and it ain't nice.

Strange. Didn't intend it to be. But you know, Ray Bradbury wrote it... so...

Something even as strange (and this may be a clue to the story title) the characters in this story do find a message they take to heart.