Ray Bradbury Forums
Name the Ray Bradbury Story

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/2701008223

21 April 2009, 08:19 PM
Linnl
Name the Ray Bradbury Story
Hello fellow Bradbury enthusiasts.

Here is another clue: Ray Bradbury wrote of this story-"I wrote the story and put it away long years before the civil rights movement; it is a product of its era, and I believe that it stands the test of time."
22 April 2009, 01:17 AM
philnic
It's "Chrysalis"! Not the one that was recently filmed, but the other one, from The Cat's Pajamas.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
22 April 2009, 10:49 AM
douglasSP
Clever lad! I can unofficially confirm that you are correct. BT will have to give the official confirmation, of course. I thought his original clue was a very good one - accurate without giving too much away.
22 April 2009, 11:25 AM
Linnl
philnic, douglasSP and you are correct!

This is one of my favorites and I think (as most Bradbury stories)would also make great film adaptation.

Your turn philnic!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,
30 April 2009, 05:43 PM
Linnl
Um, Hello?
02 May 2009, 03:24 AM
philnic
Hello, Brother Tarkas! I know it's my turn, but I was too busy to select and type out a quotation...until now.

Name this Ray Bradbury story:

"He got out of bed quietly, went to the closet, took out an overcoat, a hat, an umbrella, slipped them on, his eyes fixed upon the midnight floor, not seeing the clock which pointed to the hours long after midnight [...]"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
04 May 2009, 01:41 AM
philnic
Guesses, anyone?

- Phil

04 May 2009, 10:38 AM
Doug Spaulding
Can't quite place it.

"Live Forever!"
04 May 2009, 04:01 PM
greenray
Phil,

Does this character come from one of the Graveyard/Constance/Murder trilogy books?
04 May 2009, 05:31 PM
Linnl
Hi!
This is from "The Walker in the Night" a story in MASKS. Its about a sleepwalker and the relationship with his spouse.
Initially, I had an image of Mr. Koberman from "The Man Upstairs" from this passage.
05 May 2009, 12:22 PM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Tarkas:
...This is from "The Walker in the Night" a story in MASKS...

Correct! I was hoping to fox everyone by using a quote with the phrase "long after midnight" (the title of a different story and short story collection) in it, but there's no foxing B.Tarkas.

Back to you, Bro!

- Phil

05 May 2009, 04:10 PM
Doug Spaulding
Can an Englishman say "bro"?

"Live Forever!"
05 May 2009, 06:48 PM
Linnl
Englishmen can say 'bro', but has Doctor Who ever said it?

Okay here is the new quote:

" A wind came up and blew in the dry papyrus and sifted the ancient wrappings and trembled the curious hands and softly twiched the lips of their old/new four-thousand -year nighttime visitor, whispering."

Good luck all!
06 May 2009, 12:08 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Can an Englishman say "bro"?

I just did, and I seem to have got away with it.

- Phil

06 May 2009, 03:01 AM
tinkerbell
The Welsh say bro, meaning land, but then they say a lot of funny things eg:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogeryhwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

I defy anyone to pronounce that after a glass of single malt.