Name the Ray Bradbury Story

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/2701008223

29 September 2008, 12:39 AM
philnic
Name the Ray Bradbury Story
greenray is correct! Your turn!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
29 September 2008, 12:42 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Is anyone awared of the tribute to Ray Bradbury in the movie Cloverfield?

I saw the film in the cinema, and was conscious of a vague resemblance to "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" (and, therefore, "The Fog Horn"). I don't recall a specific Bradbury reference, but did the critter destroy a lighthouse or a rollercoaster somewhere in amongst the camera shakes?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
29 September 2008, 09:14 AM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Is anyone awared of the tribute to Ray Bradbury in the movie Cloverfield?

I saw the film in the cinema, and was conscious of a vague resemblance to "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" (and, therefore, "The Fog Horn"). I don't recall a specific Bradbury reference, but did the critter destroy a lighthouse or a rollercoaster somewhere in amongst the camera shakes?

There is a very brief homage to The Beast. Reflect on it. (that is a hint)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
29 September 2008, 03:13 PM
greenray
Let's try this one;

"It was a rocky old house. There were echoes and dust and spiders in it. And cockroaches came out to feel about on the kitchen linoleum."
30 September 2008, 02:17 PM
Doug Spaulding
I don't suppose it might be From the Dust Returned - it featured such a house.

But it also reminds me of a fine house which I saw last night on the telly. Perhaps my favourite episode of Ray Bradbury Theatre, Usher II with the wonderful Patrick McNee - Steed!

"Live Forever!"
30 September 2008, 05:28 PM
greenray
Dear Doug,

I'm sorry, it is neither a quote from Usher II, nor From the Dust Returned.

Strange Clue #1: Doug, you do not have this short story, but you will by the time it is correctly answered!
30 September 2008, 10:53 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Strange Clue #1: Doug, you do not have this short story, but you will by the time it is correctly answered!

Strange clue indeed! I'm intrigued.

"Live Forever!"
12 October 2008, 09:14 AM
greenray
Strange Clue 2: The name of this short story is the same as the collection it comes from.

"It was a rocky old house. There were echoes and dust and spiders in it. And cockroaches came out to feel about on the kitchen linoleum."
12 October 2008, 03:27 PM
patrask
Sounds like something from the Halloween Tree, Moundshroud's house?
12 October 2008, 04:16 PM
Doug Spaulding
Can't be- I already have that one, and greenray has cryptically announced that I don't have the volume in question!

"Live Forever!"
12 October 2008, 09:57 PM
greenray
Patrask,

The Halloween Tree is not a short story collection. At this time Douglas does not have this short story, or the collection from which it comes, but he soon will.

Strange Clue 3: The title of both the short story and the collection, which are the same, would fit in well with the Halloween Tree.

Strange Clue 4: With a little detective work, you should be able to answer this without having the actual short story collection.
12 October 2008, 11:10 PM
Doug Spaulding
Masks?

"Live Forever!"
13 October 2008, 03:11 PM
greenray
Dear Doug,
You are correct! You should have your copy by Halloween, if you ordered it, which I'm sure you did. You'll find the passage on page 31. I was lucky enough to get an early ARC edition. Have not had the time to read it, yet. Time for Doug to note a passage!
13 October 2008, 05:06 PM
Doug Spaulding
A little trickeration, eh?

ARC? Advance Reading Copy?

He could not see. But yes, yes, he could, and it was like inside a small dark red cavern, as if his eyes were turned inward upon his skull.

"Live Forever!"
16 October 2008, 02:19 PM
Doug Spaulding
He could not see. But yes, yes, he could, and it was like inside a small dark red cavern, as if his eyes were turned inward upon his skull.

"Live Forever!"