This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/2701008223

26 October 2007, 01:18 AM
philnic
Name the Ray Bradbury Story
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I like that the British say telly.

I like THAT we say telly, but I like HOW Americans say telly.

I also find it amusing when I hear an American say "trousers", as it doesn't sound like it's a word that comes naturally.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
26 October 2007, 07:29 AM
Braling II
Americans generally refer to trousers as "pants" - a word which means a different article of clothing in most of the UK.
27 October 2007, 07:07 AM
philnic
Oh yes. we love to giggle when an American says he is wearing new pants. But we are SHOCKED if an American refers to her fanny.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
27 October 2007, 01:07 PM
Braling II
Yes, indeed! I'm amazed that "Fanny" was such a popular name not so long ago.

Now- returning to topic, I'm surprised nobody's yet guessed the source of my quote!
27 October 2007, 02:12 PM
tinkerbell
I'm a bit mithered by this one. Is it "The The October Country"?
27 October 2007, 08:37 PM
Braling II
Tink, please rethink/rephrase your response.(The October Country is a collection of stories).
27 October 2007, 08:54 PM
tinkerbell
Sorry! Small oversight. Is it "The Dwarf"?
28 October 2007, 01:04 AM
oz-crumley
Or is 'The Cistern' ?
28 October 2007, 07:40 PM
greenray
Braling II,

Does your clue mirror a short story from 'The October Country?' I believe somebody said your selection could be from that collection. Thanks again!
28 October 2007, 10:28 PM
Braling II
TINK! You got it!

Your turn...
29 October 2007, 05:37 AM
tinkerbell
Braling II!

Fancy referring to your trousers as 'pants'! One Yank and they're off I suppose.

My quotation:

"We were satisfied to have our car. Then we couldn't get gas, we were satisfied to have our clothes, then when they took our clothes, we were satisfied to have a place to sleep. Each pleasure they took away left us with one other creature comfort to hold on to. Did you see how we let go of one thing and clutched another so quickly? I guess that's human. So they took away everything. There's nothing left."
29 October 2007, 02:17 PM
philnic
To the Chicago Abyss?

- Phil

29 October 2007, 02:57 PM
Braling II
I know! I know! But, rather than monopolize the forum, I'd like someone else to answer. Your guess is not correct, Phil. This is one of those stories I've only read a few times; one of those unsettling ones...
Good choice, Tink!
29 October 2007, 07:25 PM
rocket
"Man is in love, and loves what vanishes."

The carnival train thundered the bridge. The calliope wailed.
"There's no one playing it", Jim stared up.
"Jim no jokes!"
"Mother's honor, look!"
Going away, away, the calliope pipes shimmered with star explosions, but no one sat at the high keyboard. The wind, sluicing ice-water air in the pipes made the music.

I am reading this now. It was on the page before the place where my bookmark was. It proves that you can almost take any Bradbury book and open it at random and there will lay something profound before your eyes!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com
30 October 2007, 01:23 AM
tinkerbell
Sorry Phil! As Braling says, it's not from 'To the Chicago Abyss'. You'll have to move a little further south.