Ray Bradbury Forums
Cheating on Ray--I am in Love

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/9227092906

08 October 2012, 12:21 PM
dandelion
Cheating on Ray--I am in Love
Extremely melancholy because tomorrow is the first anniversary of when I discovered Buster and was happy for two whole months for the first time in years. I am so sad it was such a flash in the pan and I can't do anything to bring it back or make anything better in seemingly any aspect, just wait for things to worsen unto the grave.
09 October 2012, 11:58 AM
dandelion
This is the one-year anniversary of my discovery of Buster during the TCM marathon. Anyone want to say how long they've been interested and how they started?
14 October 2012, 06:52 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
This is the one-year anniversary of my discovery of Buster during the TCM marathon. Anyone want to say how long they've been interested and how they started?

Do you know, ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated by the silent greats. I really have no idea why, but if it was silent and black and white, it immediately attracted my attention. I think I was first attracted by the aesthetic beauty of them.

"Live Forever!"
14 October 2012, 07:40 PM
dandelion
Yes, they have that unreal feeling of a familiar but different world.
14 October 2012, 08:27 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Yes, they have that unreal feeling of a familiar but different world.

Even today, as a filmmaker, I prefer to shoot in B&W. I know lots of young people who get turned off by black and white programs on television - they'll surf right by them. With me, it was the opposite - black and white attracted my attention. That's what usually made me stop channel surfing.

"Live Forever!"
15 October 2012, 12:55 PM
dandelion
Some movies and TV shows would have been just as good in color but so many would not.
15 October 2012, 02:25 PM
fjp451
TKAM remains in its glorious b&w original state!
15 October 2012, 03:26 PM
skmckee
With me, it was the opposite - black and white attracted my attention. That's what usually made me stop channel surfing.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. Light and shadow was the "colour" of black & white. Love 'em. Hey Doug, how can I see some of your work?
15 October 2012, 08:55 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
Hey Doug, how can I see some of your work?

Thanks! Here is a short film I was hired to direct a year and a half ago. The producers didn't want it shot in B&W, but I ultimately decided that a "washed-out" early seventies style color looked good. It's called The App. I directed and did a rewrite plus wrote the scene in the motel office, although I am uncredited for the writing.

Here is a fundraiser video for my current project, the one I was working on with Ray. It will be mostly in B&W. The trailer should be online soon, as soon as we work out some scoring issues.

Another project in post is a documentary on 4E and a comedy web-series is in pre-production. I'm in talks to direct a feature-length Blair Witch Project-like film. It's too early to say yet whether that will happen. Lots of stuff in the works!

"Live Forever!"
15 October 2012, 09:55 PM
dandelion
Congratulations, Doug!!!
16 October 2012, 06:32 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Congratulations, Doug!!!

Thanks!

"Live Forever!"
16 October 2012, 02:44 PM
dandelion
I would like to work on lots of projects but so scared of things being too much for me. I just want to say I am sad and don't want to be and not doing it on purpose.
16 October 2012, 03:49 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
I would like to work on lots of projects but so scared of things being too much for me. I just want to say I am sad and don't want to be and not doing it on purpose.

Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down!

"Live Forever!"
17 October 2012, 01:18 AM
skmckee
Thanks for the links Doug. Nice work on The App! Father Electrico looks like it's going to be terrific. Keep us posted!

At Yestermorrows following Ray's 89th, a friend of yours sat beside me shooting video of Ray. May I ask which project that footage belongs to?
18 October 2012, 09:52 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
Thanks for the links Doug. Nice work on The App! Father Electrico looks like it's going to be terrific. Keep us posted!

At Yestermorrows following Ray's 89th, a friend of yours sat beside me shooting video of Ray. May I ask which project that footage belongs to?

Thanks! And which friend?

"Live Forever!"