Ray Bradbury Forums
Can someone answer a question for me?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/9031041011

10 December 2004, 10:55 AM
ashleydawn
Can someone answer a question for me?
I am doing a research paper on Ray Bradbury. I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable website or any source where I can find a topic on "What inspired Ray to write Fahrenheit 451." I would really appreciate it. I have looked in my school's library and cannot find a book or good website. Thank you!

Ashley
11 December 2004, 02:10 PM
pabillsman1
It actually started out as a much shorter story inspired by the actions of a police officer that Ray witnessed. It turned into a short story called "The fireman" and then evolved into the classic. Do a search,(I suggest Google)and if you hear the full story that sounds similar to what I have said, it is accurate.
11 December 2004, 02:21 PM
scarywarhol
Bradbury talks about how he came up with the idea and how it was expanded on the Farenhiet 451 DVD.
11 December 2004, 04:08 PM
grasstains
WOW! They've actually released that piece of cr*p 1960's movie on DVD?

IT SHOULD BE BURNED.
11 December 2004, 05:20 PM
scarywarhol
unfortunately, I didn't know how bad it was when I bought it. Still, there were good special features pretaining to the book rather than the movie, so it was worth the $9.99. The Ray Bradbury interview is about 20 minutes long, if I remember correctly.
11 December 2004, 06:15 PM
Mr. Dark
While the movie was very european and, in my mind, pretty danged slow, I didn't think it was a piece of cr*p. If it has a 20-minute interview with Ray, that alone adds value to the DVD over my VHS version. I liked Clarisse in it and thought some of the imagery had merit. I'd love to see a really good one done, though.

Also, I thought I read in an interview with Ray that the story "The Pedestrian" was one of the root sources to F451.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-11-2004).]
12 December 2004, 05:22 AM
dandelion
William F. Nolan's book "Science Fiction Origins" contains the original story and probably some material on its genesis.
12 December 2004, 07:41 PM
ashleydawn
Thank you for the help. I will look for the DVD in my public library.

Ashley
13 December 2004, 10:22 AM
Braling II
Bradbury told me back in the '70s that he liked the Truffaut movie. I like it if only for the incredible Bernard Herrmann music.

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 12-13-2004).]