Ray Bradbury Forums
Where Ray shows up . . .

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/6961023411

10 April 2005, 12:13 AM
Mr. Dark
Where Ray shows up . . .
I was just watching the movie "Almost Famous" and saw that when the Stillwater band was traveling on their tour bus, one of the band members was reading a copy of Ray Bradbury's "Illustrated Man". It was the famous red cover with the man seen from the back (the one I read back in HS). He was holding it up long and obvious enough that you could read the title and author.

Anywhere else Ray's stuff has been seen?
11 April 2005, 05:37 AM
Richard
For a film cameo of Ray himself (as opposed to one of his books), check out director George Cukor's 1981 film, RICH AND FAMOUS, starring Jacqueline Bisset and Candice Bergen. There is a cocktail party scene where one of the guests is...you guessed it...Ray Bradbury.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,
11 April 2005, 09:19 AM
grasstains
There have been a couple episodes of The Simpsons based on his stories, THERE WILL COME SOFT RAINS and A SOUND OF THUNDER, but I don't recall ever hearing mention of his name or of any of his works by title.

I saw an episode of CSI that was centered on Isaac Asimov.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"
29 April 2005, 11:05 AM
Ripped Abs
Back in the day Ray looked like Dustin Hoffman

i'm awesome
29 April 2005, 11:06 AM
biplane1
There's something to be said for that!
01 May 2005, 12:50 AM
dandelion
Yes, Bradbury has been mentioned by name on "The Simpsons." https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/7971065901

One Simpsons episode also showed a store in a shopping mall called "Something Wicker This Way Comes."

There's a Bugs Bunny cartoon where all through it Bugs chides himself for "taking directions from Ray Bradbury" and threatens what he'll do when he catches up with said party!
04 May 2005, 12:34 PM
funmow
There is also an adapted quote in the movie, A Knight's Tale. "Uric" is jousting with his archenemy and the archenemy says, "You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting." This same quote appears at the end when "Uric" beats his archenemy. It is out of "The City," a story in Bradbury's Illustrated Man. The quote in the story is, "...the inhabitants of that craft were tested, weighed, and found wanting..."

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!
05 May 2005, 07:18 AM
Braling II
Uh, actually, this quote has its origin in a source quite a bit earlier. Remember the writing on the wall? Check out Daniel 5:27.
05 May 2005, 07:54 AM
fjp451
In this week's Extreme Home Make Over (name!?), the young dad/husband had completely lost his sight. The home was entirely interactive and voice activiated: "The Veldt." It was high-technology at its most benevolent, in this case.
05 May 2005, 07:56 AM
funmow
Right you are. I immediately thought of Knight's Tale when I read it in the Bradbury story though. I had forgotten about the Biblical reference!

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!
05 May 2005, 08:21 AM
~*~April~*~
I never knew that Ray Bradbury was involved in so many things until i read this thread. That is very interesting. I acctually remember the episode of the Simpsons where it was based off his work. I just didn't know it at the time
05 May 2005, 03:41 PM
groon
Look for a slight homage to Ray in my upcoming film, "Deadline" sometime oh, maybe next spring? (just a guess)
06 June 2011, 10:11 PM
dandelion
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this--I haven't, as I don't watch the show--but my uncle has been watching The West Wing on DVD and one episode featured a college kid quoting Ray: "If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn." The situation was the banning of Fahrenheit 451 and several other books at his college.