Ray Bradbury Forums
Ol' Shakespeare Did Write Other Famous Lines, too, Didn't He?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/5361064372

08 June 2004, 06:56 PM
dandelion
Ol' Shakespeare Did Write Other Famous Lines, too, Didn't He?
There have to be one or more message boards with know-all fans, but with someone as popular as Rowling it would be all too easy to go "diagonally" and end up in Knockturn Alley with the mean, flamethrowing fans. To keep things safe, I will post the query on my nice book groups!
08 June 2004, 10:34 PM
thormachine
who cares if someone uses that phrase either way? give me one good reason why it matters at all....

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........
08 June 2004, 10:53 PM
Yestermorrow
Yeah, man, who cares about anything? Why bother discussing things that interest us at all? I mean really, what's the point?
09 June 2004, 01:45 AM
Nard Kordell
thormachine:

Wow! That was a profound question. Using words like...Either way. Phrase! Why?

Wowzee!

I don't really think anyone here is qualified to handle this.

thormachine... you may have stumped the panel with this one. Go look in the mirror and pat yourself on the back. It doesn't happen that often.

( By the way, do you mind if I use your name, 'thormachine', on another web site. I like that name a lot... )
09 June 2004, 06:40 AM
dandelion
No definitive expert answers so far, just opinions that Shakespeare and MacBeth are pretty darn well-known with or without Bradbury.
09 June 2004, 09:31 AM
fjpalumbo
That would be exactly like "Much Ado About Nothing," but then again it may be completely unrelated. Right!?

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-09-2004).]

fpalumbo
20 June 2004, 05:10 PM
outdamnedspot
I'm a little late with this reply, but I'm also interested in that line. If you look back at early folio editions of Shakespeare's works, or even the variorum editions, you might notice that the line doesn't always appear. Many scholars believe that Shakespeare didn't pen that line at all, that perhaps it originated with Middleton.
23 June 2004, 03:26 PM
shakespeare
No, "something wicked" came from an idea based on an old curse, not Middleton.

Don't ask me how I know that.

The very much adult Shakespeare lived on Muggle Street the last few years he lived in London, in the early 1600's.

I very much appreciated the Shakespearean look of the Azkaban movie, and the song was definitely an homage to Shakespeare, not Bradbury...

S
24 June 2004, 10:44 PM
thormachine
oh goody!! so we all agree that shakespeare was famous before ray bradbury!! neato!! now lets all sit around and think about other pressing issues......like whether to use the red yarn or the blue yarn to knit the next sweater or how many lumps of sugar should we have in our tea!!!!!

cmon people....look at the goddamn world around you and stop arguing about the most inane bullshit in the world...there are PLENTY of things to talk about that are actually effecting the lives of millions of people.....

.................God o' <br />Thunder...........
25 June 2004, 09:34 PM
Mr. Dark
Another winning post, thormachine. Crude, arrogant, petulant . . .
25 June 2004, 10:41 PM
pterran
Thormachine,

As a guest of this site, you're welcome to join in the supposedly inane topics we talk about. But if its beneath you, why not go someplace else? I would.

Best,

Pete