Ray Bradbury Forums
tribute to Ray

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/4921018921

09 June 2005, 09:29 AM
charley
tribute to Ray
I first encountered Ray's work in 1952 and have read most of his writings since. I am from Burlington, Vermont and read _The October Country_ while living there -- in real October country. I remember wanting to send Ray a package of VT autumn leaves with a note:"To the October man, from the October country". Alas, I never did. When I was a freshman in college, I was in a lit class taught by probably the most distinguished professor on campus. One day he asked the class:"who is the best contemporary science fiction writer"? I blurted out. "without a doubt, Ray Bradbury"! Most of the class were juniors and seniors, so I immediately thought I had broken an unwritten rule by making such an aggressive assertion. The professor looked and me silently for a long ten seconds. Then he said: "you're right". Ray, I hope you read this. I'm so grateful for you wonderful books! God bless you!
11 June 2005, 02:31 PM
funmow
True, Vermont is certainly October country...beautiful during that time of the year. I am currently a Senior in College and would have shouted the same thing my Freshman year as did you, and would probably do the same now. I am devaouring Bradbury's books right and left. I have not yet reached October Country yet, but when I do, I hope that I can look out my MI window and see something resembling the beauty that I am sure that Bradbury paints with his words.

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!
11 June 2005, 09:14 PM
biplane1
Charley,

I was able to get into Vermont just a bit having visited Keene. Also there was a place called Pickety Place, supposedly the inspiration for the Little Red Riding Hood story. It was very nice. Oops, Pickety Place is in New Hampshire.
17 June 2005, 09:34 PM
biplane1
Sorry, I am way out of whack! Keene is in New Hampshire. I don't believe I got anywhere close to Vermont and I haven't even been drinking!
20 June 2005, 06:01 AM
fjp451
Biplane, there is also a Keene, NY, just before you get to Vermont. It is located in the heart of the Adirondack Mts. A magnificent location, a part of the "High Peaks Region," and a unparalleled recreational area (in all seasons) for those of us in the NE!
20 June 2005, 06:28 PM
The Lake
Charley,
I've been to Johnson, Vermont and Burlington in February. Loved it there. Tremendous snow and solitude.

I also got a kick out of the story you told. Nothing like an overwheming academic affirmation. The leaf thing is something that you still should do. I did it myself, once upon a time.
21 June 2005, 12:49 PM
biplane1
Say Frank, email me your phone number as I have misplaced it some time ago. Getting old you know. My email is clmi9901@msn.com.

Would like to chew the fat with you.