Ray Bradbury Forums
New Movie Astronaut Farmer

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/3301050882

31 January 2007, 08:44 AM
RBFAN57
New Movie Astronaut Farmer
Hello I am a long time reader of this most wonderous site, and have said very little, but now I need some help. I saw a preview for this movie (Farmer Astronaut) when I went to see Letters From Iwo Jima. It stars Nick Cage who is a farmer who builds a rocket ship in his back yard. The story revolves around his relationship with his family mostly his children. Humm.... I remember a Bradbury story about a Junk Man who builds a rocket in his back yard, but for the life me of right now I can not remember the title of that short story-senior moment I believe. Could someone help please.

David B Smith
31 January 2007, 09:32 AM
Braling II
Sounds like "The Rocket" from "Illustrated Man",
in which Fiorello Bodoni builds a rocket in his yard for his family...
31 January 2007, 12:04 PM
RBFAN57
Yes Thank you very much

David B Smith
31 January 2007, 03:06 PM
dandelion
Has anyone here read "Farmer in the Sky" by Heinlein?
31 January 2007, 03:17 PM
Nard Kordell
>>>>>>************+************+***********+*************+************+************+<<<<<<
Here's the trailer for Astronaut Farmer . Nice thing here is they give you the capabilities of selecting your own media player settings capabilities, if you should need it.

http://theastronautfarmermovie.warnerbros.com/

<<<<<<************+************+************+************+************+************+>>>>>>
31 January 2007, 04:32 PM
grasstains
quote:
Has anyone here read "Farmer in the Sky" by Heinlein?

Not only have I never read it, I've never even seen it. Along with PODKAYNE and DOUBLE STAR, those are the three Heinlein books which have proven the hardest for me to locate. I only shop at thrift stores, library sales, and used bookstores. It's funner this way, thrill of the hunt and all.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"
31 January 2007, 04:48 PM
lmskipper
I could not get the trailer to run (grrrr), but when I read the synopsis section, I thought it sounded great and even a bit Bradburyesque. Can't wait!!
31 January 2007, 06:16 PM
Nard Kordell
lmskipper:
It asks on the opening page what format you want to use on your computer: Windows, mac, cable, etc.Did you see that? Or/and you might have to download some free software.
31 January 2007, 11:23 PM
Phil Knox
Yep. Ray wrote something along those lines. Except the rocket never worked in Ray's story. It had a more dramatic aspect to it than I think this film will have. But then, in this movie the fellow really goes Gung-Ho and builds a real space ship. This may prove quite an interesting film.

01 February 2007, 01:05 AM
dandelion
Podkayne is great! Farmer I know only the title, but here's a summary: http://www.wegrokit.com/farmer_in_the_sky.htm
03 February 2007, 02:08 AM
Chapter 31
grasstains,
YOU HAVE NEVER READ “Double Star”? Oh, dear, dear grasstains. DO NOT MISS THIS BOOK! Redeem bottles, mortgage your house, but get a copy! It’s one of Heinlein’s very best!
03 February 2007, 02:38 AM
grasstains
Yeah, I know, I'm lagging. There are some really big used bookstores in the area I haven't been to in years. I should make the trip someday soon. My trade-ins are piling up. The other day I found out one of my favorite used bookstores is closed down, gone, empty... and gone too is my twenty-something dollars in book credit. Not so much as a phone call. That's the third used bookstore we've lost in the last two years.

================================================

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."
03 February 2007, 12:29 PM
dandelion
Don't break the bank! Heinlein titles at Addall start at 75¢! http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=...randbooks&store=ZVAB

There is also ebay, ebay.half.com, and Amazon.com, for starters on relatively inexpensive books--of course the postage will run you much more than the books!
06 March 2007, 08:33 AM
groon
I saw The Astronaut Farmer over the weekend. It wasn't bad. Not sure if I found it particularly bradburyesque, but it's a good family movie, the kind of thing the whole family could enjoy. Anyone with a family might wanna rent it when it comes out in a few months.
06 March 2007, 11:25 AM
biplane1
I had the understanding that Billy Bob Thornton had the lead role in the Astronaut Farmer. Am I crazy or what?