Ray Bradbury Forums
Kiss from Mr. Electro...

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/3031024372

10 April 2003, 12:38 PM
CEWhite
Kiss from Mr. Electro...
I had the pleasure of meeting Ray Bradbury in the basement of the Smithsonian, after hours. In the shadow of the Mastadon, with the echoing click of heels on terrazo, I made my way to hear Ray Bradbury give the best talk I have ever heard on any topic, at the exact right time for me to hear it, and I have never forgotten it.

Gusto! Zest! YES!

Afterwards I stood in line for quite some time to get an autograph, and in the excitement of meeting a kindred spirit I blurted out in the most presumptious way "Oh, I love you!" and he didn't miss a beat and reached up to me saying "Aren't you sweet!" and gave me an enthusiastic kiss on the cheek. I knew that I had received just a little spark transmitted through the conduits of consciousness from Mr. Electro himself!

I have a copy of "Zen and the Art of Writing" which I reread anytime discouragement clouds my mind, since it summarizes much of that night's wonderful talk. For anyone who wants to do anything that takes a little courage, I can't recommend it highly enough.

So, thank you again Ray. Your work continues to be a positive influence on my life, even if we only met for an electrifying moment in time.

Best wishes, (and yes, love!)

--Catherine--*
www.llamagraphics.com
Creators of Life Balance software
for Palm OS, Macintosh and Windows.
10 April 2003, 12:57 PM
fjpalumbo
Now there is a post Mark Jonas, the RB critic laureate, needs to read.

Great comments CEW!

fpalumbo
11 April 2003, 05:12 AM
dandelion
It was certainly better received than this story:

my dinner with ray... - Ray Bradbury Discussion Board http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000040.html
11 April 2003, 10:07 AM
CEWhite
I just realized that it is "Zen in the Art of Writing" and Mr. Electrico.

As Ray points out, the rewrite/editing process is a completely different sort of experience. :-)

Best wishes to all!

--Catherine--*
12 April 2003, 04:03 PM
Nard Kordell
Dandelion:

Ah, but I challenged ...Peter1a... if all those claims made were legitimate, or a bunch of hooey... Peter1a, instead, decided...'Why defend, just drop out....' Have any of us heard from him again?

When I think of Ray, I see that ...'talent', "Great Talent", wonderfully guided and directed, goes far to create a great soul, an 'endearing' person. Talent, large talent gone to seed with pride and 'self', deteriorates and infuriates the holder of the 'gift'...
15 April 2003, 10:36 PM
Greg Miller
Nard...

Just out of...curiosity...what's with...all the...dot dot dots?

Greg
15 April 2003, 10:59 PM
Nard Kordell
Think of it as Morse code without the dashes...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-15-2003).]
16 April 2003, 01:58 AM
Mr. Dark
Does morse code without the dashes provide an actual communications tool?
16 April 2003, 11:02 AM
Nard Kordell
Mr. Dark:::
Do many actually use Morse Code nowadays? I remember couple years back when Maritime took themselves off the Morse Code. It was an event on C-Span.

Greg Miller:
Actually, I use the dots as a sort of an ...intellectual pause....sort of a 'give me a moment of breath' type of thing, a measured pause. That's the aim, not necessarily the effect. Anyway, I've been doing it for so long that its habit.... See, I did it again.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-16-2003).]