Ray Bradbury Forums
New technology ... And proof of how far you've come ...

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6791083901/m/1177023695

12 February 2011, 09:18 PM
Violet_Hunter
New technology ... And proof of how far you've come ...
I have been an avid reader of yours since I was in my teens -- over 25 years ago. I've dreamed of the future + wondered what it would be like, but somehow always stuck to the past. Particularly my fondness for books -- and particularly books that had been printed years before I was born (love the way they smell and feel). I'm pretty sure I have all of your books and at most of your short stories in paper.
It took me years to break down and get an iPad/book reader -- which I just did. Every time I use it I'm reminded of the computer tablets that are talked about in sic fi books -- and in using it I feel like I'm really at the beginning of a revolution in tech that will be similar to the printing press.
So then I decide to get some of the core books that I want to have with me wherever I go -- classics like Pride & Prejudice, the Complete Works of Shakespeare, a dictionary, Man's Search for Meaning, the Foundation series and Fahrenheit 451. No problem with anything on the list except I find that the only books that nook & iPad have related to you, Mr. Bradley, are a series of cliff notes. You will forgive me, but as one middle aged person to another -- what is up with that?
Anyway, please know that your books would have made it into my list of the 10 books I would bring with me to a desert island -- if only I could get copies of them for my iPad.
I wish you much happiness, health, and well being.
12 February 2011, 09:34 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Violet_Hunter:
No problem with anything on the list except I find that the only books that nook & iPad have related to you, Mr. Bradley, are a series of cliff notes. You will forgive me, but as one middle aged person to another -- what is up with that?

He hates them, and says "to hell with them!", for he, like you, loves the smell and feel of real paper books.

"Live Forever!"