Ray Bradbury Forums
What about Mr.Bradbury's favorite Authors?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/957103682

08 January 2010, 08:48 PM
Kukai_Aoki
What about Mr.Bradbury's favorite Authors?
(Many apologies if there is already a post up about this, but I searched and I could not find the answer to my question.)

We all have our own favorite authors, and many of us include Ray Bradbury in that extensive list. My question is as follows: Who are Mr. Bradbury's favorites?

He mentions certain people like Poe and others, but which ones are his true favorites?

"Oh, death!"
08 January 2010, 11:29 PM
fanboy
Hg Wells and Steinbeck, oddly enough
09 January 2010, 02:08 AM
philnic
He has listed many favourites over the year. Burroughs, Wells, Steinbeck, Dickens, Shaw and Poe are often listed. I'm interested more in the ones he cites less often, such as Eudora Welty, Willa Cather, Sherwood Anderson.

Coming soon should be Jon Eller's new book BECOMING RAY BRADBURY, which is a chonological/biographical examination of all of Bradbury's influences as he was developing as a writer. This will reveal even more of Ray's less-declared favourites.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
09 January 2010, 11:47 AM
Kukai_Aoki
Thank you philnic, I didn't know he liked Sherwood Anderson! This makes my day, as I found his "Many Marriages" to be quite an entertaining read.

"Oh, death!"
09 January 2010, 01:16 PM
philnic
Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio influenced Bradbury's collation of The Martian Chronicles, and undoubtedly had a small influence on Dandelion Wine.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
09 January 2010, 02:43 PM
Kukai_Aoki
Then I am off to my local library to read it. Thanks again!

"Oh, death!"
09 January 2010, 03:32 PM
jkt
Ray also loves the Brittish writer John Collier. Mostly known as a short story writer who always has a twist at the end of a story. Many of his stories were used for Alfred Hitchcock's TV series. Ray also gave a copy of 'Fancies and Goodnights' to Rod Serling to consider for Twilight Zone episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Collier_(writer)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
09 January 2010, 04:05 PM
Kukai_Aoki
John Collier you say? I do not think I have ever heard of him, though your link may open some doors for me.

"Oh, death!"
09 January 2010, 06:20 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Ray also gave a copy of 'Fancies and Goodnights' to Rod Serling to consider for Twilight Zone episodes.

Ray also gave him the collected stories of Roald Dahl, a favourite of mine.

"Live Forever!"