Ray Bradbury Forums
Looking for CBS Television Workshop: "The Rocket"

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/9007050816

29 July 2012, 09:48 AM
Davefan56
Looking for CBS Television Workshop: "The Rocket"
I would like to acquire a copy (VHS or DVD) of the March 16, 1952 CBS Television Workshop production of "The Rocket" (aka "Outcast of the Stars," 1950 by Ray Bradbury) --still remembered after all these years as an excellent and compelling performance. However, after a brief Internet search, I can't find a copy of the CBS version anywhere (or does it even exist?). I was 14 in 1952, so most on this list probably didn't see it. However, my memory of the show is still vivid, and I believe many Radbury fans would enjoy seeing it, if a source for the old copy could be found.
29 July 2012, 04:05 PM
philnic
Hi Davefan56, and welcome. I've been tracking (and tracking down recordings of) Bradbury's media work for years and have never yet come across a source for this particular show.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you check with the Paley Center (Museuem of TV and Radio) in New York or California to see if they have it.

There's always the possibility with a 1952 show that it simply wasn't preserved.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
29 July 2012, 11:30 PM
dandelion
There are Museums of Broadcasting in New York and California which have some otherwise "lost" shows but you have to go there to watch them.
30 July 2012, 12:01 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
There are Museums of Broadcasting in New York and California which have some otherwise "lost" shows but you have to go there to watch them.

Clarification: the Paley Centers I referred to, and the Museums of Broadcasting dandelion refers to, are one and the same:

http://www.paleycenter.org/

I have visited the NY one a couple of times,and they have all sorts of gems, but they don't have everything. You can search their holdings here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
31 July 2012, 03:26 PM
Davefan56
Thanks for the Paley Center source recommendation. I went there and browsed some but didn't find it. Guess I'll try wandering the Internet and see what there is. As I said before, it was a great production in old black and white --and as good anything I saw on the Hallmark Hall of Fame of that era. Thanks again. - - - David Hoadley