Ray Bradbury Forums
Quote of the Day

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8661025792

22 May 2007, 06:54 AM
Braling II
Quote of the Day
Great quote and good links! But I think there's a typo there, Butch: "mild" should probably be "mind".
23 May 2007, 06:50 AM
fjp451
"Genius is an infinite capacity for taking life by the scruff of the neck."
-Christopher Quill

("Scruff" is a good word!)
23 May 2007, 09:44 AM
Doug Spaulding
"Your summit awaits. Go to it."

- Jamie Clarke

"Live Forever!"
24 May 2007, 07:27 AM
Braling II
"The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little."

- Ray Bradbury
25 May 2007, 05:35 AM
tinkerbell
"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"

- Frankie Howerd

(Wonder to which 'forum' he was referring. Surely not 'Religion 101'? Oh well, please yourself!)
25 May 2007, 06:56 AM
Braling II
Tink, stop by the "Where Y'all from?" thread and tell us where "Never Never Land, UK" is.
(And don't say it's "second from the right and straight on 'til morning"!)

My Quote of the day:

"For you, Nell, I'd Rotten Up!"

- Dudley Do-Right
26 May 2007, 07:30 PM
Doug Spaulding
"Live Forever!"

- Ray Bradbury

"Live Forever!"
26 May 2007, 09:46 PM
Braling II
"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

- Mark Twain
27 May 2007, 02:34 AM
tinkerbell
"What is truth?"

- Pontius Pilate (John 18:38)
27 May 2007, 08:32 AM
Phil Knox
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except thru me."

-Jesus Christ-

27 May 2007, 11:47 PM
Doug Spaulding
"What is Life?"

- George Harrison

"Live Forever!"
28 May 2007, 03:29 AM
tinkerbell
"Why leave me standing here? Let me know the Way ..."

- Lennon/McCartney (The Long & Winding Road)
28 May 2007, 08:27 AM
tinkerbell
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Tink, stop by the "Where Y'all from?" thread and tell us where "Never Never Land, UK" is.
(And don't say it's "second from the right and straight on 'til morning"!)

My Quote of the day:

"For you, Nell, I'd Rotten Up!"

- Dudley Do-Right

Braling II! Couldn't find - or maybe hadn't the patience to find - 'Where y'all from?'.

You only want to know my provenance because Mrs B comes from Manchester, and you've been over here recently smuggling our cheese and bacon through Customs! Tut! I didn't dare sneak a pretzel out of NYC last October. Not only that, but on outward-bound I had to swear I had nothing to do with Nazi Germany from 1933 and 1945. Do I really look THAT old?

Twickenham's my home. It's a tranquil, leafy suburb on the outskirts of London. Sunday afternoons we laze by the Thames beneath weeping willows, sharing a bottle (or two) of Chablis and wafer-thin cucumber sandwiches while our men play cricket on the Green. Not today, alas. It's been raining cats and dogs - always does on a Bank Holiday.

As for your assumption that we're less friendly down here than in the north, huh! Why, some days we even go so far as to grunt at one another.

You know it's quite true what another Brit, Waiting Tom I believe his name is, recently said on this board. Hardly anyone I know has even HEARD of Ray Bradbury. Had he been a household name or on the school curriculum, he'd have received a knighthood, not just a Pulitzter.

Mrs B sounds a very lucky person. Indeed, everyone I met in the US was overwhelmingly kind and welcoming. Manners cost nothing, eh?

Tinks
28 May 2007, 02:42 PM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
...Hardly anyone I know has even HEARD of Ray Bradbury...

I can confirm this is a common state of affairs here in the UK. People are always mixing up RAY Bradbury with MALCOLM Bradbury. Another common mix-up is RB and John Wyndham. At least RB and JW both wrote in the same field.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
28 May 2007, 05:03 PM
Braling II
Tinks,
You'll find the "So...Where Y'All From?" Topic under "Ray's Legacy".
So, as John Daly used to say on "What's My Line", "Enter, and sign in, please."

Cuumber samwidges, eh?

OK back to Quote Of The Day!

"...marvelous people, the Scots. It's the porridge, you know!"

- Tony Hancock from "The Blood Donor"