Ray Bradbury Forums
Quote of the Day

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8661025792

28 August 2007, 11:14 AM
Doug Spaulding
Quote of the Day
"They must find it difficult...those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority."

- Gerald Massey

"Live Forever!"
31 August 2007, 10:05 AM
Doug Spaulding
"When a thing has been said and well, have no scruple. Take it and copy it."

- George Clayton Johnson

I mean...

- Anatole France

"Live Forever!"
31 August 2007, 12:21 PM
philnic
Shouldn't that be Anatole THOMAS?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
31 August 2007, 02:05 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Shouldn't that be Anatole THOMAS?

You may be right!

"Live Forever!"
04 September 2007, 07:33 AM
Braling II
Acupuncture is a jab well done.

- Anon.
05 September 2007, 02:12 PM
Braling II
"Soviet citizens came up with ingenious ways to get the books into their country. Members of the Moscow Philharmonic slipped book pages into their sheet music and a young woman who was flying from London to Moscow with her infant son squeezed a mini edition of "The Gulag Archipelago" into the child's diaper. And yes, the programs were covertly funded by the CIA."

- Ludmilla Thorne, New Yorker Covert Art
05 September 2007, 08:57 PM
Doug Spaulding
"No I don't know a Carl LaFong, capital 'L,' small 'a,' capital 'F,' small 'o,' small 'n,' small 'g.' And if I did know Carl LaFong, I wouldn't admit it."

- W. C. Fields

"Live Forever!"
05 September 2007, 11:32 PM
Braling II
"It's A Gift"! One of the best! His stuff is hard to find!
06 September 2007, 11:22 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
"It's A Gift"! One of the best! His stuff is hard to find!

If one were to call It's a Gift (or The Bank Dick) the greatest comedy ever, I would be hard-pressed to argue with them - hilarious!

For purchase, look here.

The Comedy Collection, Volume One came out some months back, but Volume Two is fresh on shelves, and rounds out the Great Man nicely!

"Live Forever!"
06 September 2007, 11:27 AM
Doug Spaulding
"The resale value of this car is going to be nil after this ride."

- W. C. Fields

"Live Forever!"
06 September 2007, 11:56 AM
fjp451
Our two scruffs had a couple of buddies over the other night as a last hurrah as summer ended and school awaited around the corner that actually was this morning. So, having not teevee to click on, my wife and I had to choose a video safe enough to watch for four boys 9-11yrs.

We signed out a dvd from the library of the Marx Bros. at the Circus. Other than a few "mushy song scenes," the movie was a great success and a real hoot for all of us. The boys could relate to the constant shenanigans and the rough and tumble troublemaking that seemed to fill every scene.

The dialogue, though satirically often way over their heads, was found hilarious by all of them. You really need to listen carefully to catch everything they twisted into their exchanges. Harpo's lines were especially thought provoking!

Hoot along: http://www.clown-ministry.com/index_1.php?/site/articles/at_the_circus/
06 September 2007, 12:25 PM
Braling II
This exchange makes me laugh every time:
Mrs. Suzannah Dukesbury (Margaret Dumont): [referring to the seating arrangements at an upcoming dinner] the judge shall sit on my left hand, and you (turning to Groucho) shall sit on my right.
J. Cheever Loophole (Groucho): How will you eat? Through a tube?

"Lydia oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia,
Lydia, the Tattooed Lady..."

Great stuff.

By the way, "Lydia" was also sung by a young Virginia Weidler in "The Philadelphia Story".

Hey, I thought this was the Quote of the Day" thread?
07 September 2007, 12:53 PM
philnic
Lydia must have been the original Illustrated Woman.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
07 September 2007, 01:23 PM
Braling II
"...she has eyes that men adore so,
and a torso - even more so!"
13 September 2007, 12:33 PM
Braling II
"A glass of beer or wine at day's end is one of the small comforts that make a big difference in daily life. If we allow our freedoms to be stripped away, we will soon become participants in a nightmare of modern urban existence; hollow-eyed robots herded like cattle into overcrowded underventilated trains for a joyless trip home."

- Shea, "Abstinent Urban Commuting"

(from a 'double crostic' puzzle, such as I love)