Ray Bradbury Forums
What was written where?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6377013006

18 April 2011, 10:17 PM
skmckee
What was written where?
I've often wondered which stories were written where.... I recall a YouTube video of Ray typing away in what I assume to be this house. I gather this is the Palms Springs house mentioned in The Bradbury Chronicles?
If so, I sure hope whoever owns it now appreciates what they've got and doesn't go re-modeling everything.... (And I wish I'd had the cash....)
19 April 2011, 12:28 AM
philnic
Wow, what a find, skmckee! And a snip at half a million!

Jon Eller's forthcoming book BECOMING RAY BRADBURY will tell you pretty much what was written where, up to 1953 at least; I am reading an advance review copy at the moment. (And the sequel volume will likely do the same for the remainder of RB's career.)

In general, pre-MOBY DICK, it seems RB did most of his writing at home, usually in a garage. The exception is F451, which was mostly (and famously) written in the basement of the UCLA library on rented typewriters.

Without looking in THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES, I don't recall when the Bradburys got their second home in Palm Springs, nor when he started renting separate office space in LA, but I gather this was all post-MOBY DICK.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
20 April 2011, 12:57 AM
skmckee
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Wow, what a find, skmckee! And a snip at half a million!

A World War Two era bungalow, previously owned by a non-celebrity, on a lot the size of a postage stamp, will run you close to a million bucks here in Vancouver British Columbia. Really.

Anyhow, thanks for the info; shall have to check out Becoming Ray Bradbury.