Ray Bradbury Forums
Quote question

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6297097816

29 August 2012, 10:52 AM
Kittie Kittie
Quote question
Good Afternoon All,

I am wondering if this is really a Ray Bradbury quote, and if so, what is it from?

"Jump, and you will learn how to unfold your wings as you fall"

Can anyone help with this?
Thank you!
29 August 2012, 05:12 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Kittie Kittie:
Good Afternoon All,

I am wondering if this is really a Ray Bradbury quote, and if so, what is it from?

"Jump, and you will learn how to unfold your wings as you fall"

Can anyone help with this?
Thank you!

Sounds like a variation (he did that a lot) on his more famous quote "Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down!"

"Live Forever!"
30 August 2012, 01:11 AM
philnic
Plenty of variations to be found here. Take your pick!

Ray mostly said this in interviews, talks, lectures and speeches. He also used it in more than one essay - take a look in his books BRADBURY SPEAKS and ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING, and I'm pretty sure you will find it.

I think he also used it in fiction in his children's book/story AHMED AND THE OBLIVION MACHINES, but it's a while since I looked at that book.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
30 August 2012, 06:51 AM
Kittie Kittie
Thank you so much for the information! I am going to check out the mentioned books and essays.

I appreciate it!
30 August 2012, 07:08 AM
philnic
You're welcome!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter