Ray Bradbury Forums
Parlor?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/4251055372

26 August 2004, 03:29 PM
stephbrian
Parlor?
I am still a little confused on what exactly the parlors were. Could somebody please give me a good descriptions on what a parlor was and what they possibly looked like?
26 August 2004, 03:32 PM
guardgirl1717
Along time ago, there was a room in the front of a house called a parlor. It was mostly for sitting with guests and just talking, but in F 541 it is a room with 3 walls of televisions.
26 August 2004, 03:37 PM
stephbrian
So basically, it is just like an entertainment room. I see now. Thanks.
26 August 2004, 04:48 PM
Korby
Parlors are also sometimes called the "front room" or living room. When homes had living rooms and family rooms (as opposed to today's great rooms), the living room was considered the parlor; the only time it was used was when company came over.
26 August 2004, 04:55 PM
philnic
Korby,

I must say that sounds like a very British usage to me. Do Americans use it that way, too?

Phil (resident Englishman)
www.bradburymedia.co.uk

- Phil<br /> http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379
26 August 2004, 05:05 PM
biplane1
Most definately so. Tea would be served in the parlor. After dinner, men would "repair to the parlor" for cigars and a drink.

But Korby is correct, is was the "living" or "front" room and definately not the entertainment room in the modern sense. The only entertainment there, in addition to the tea, cigars and after dinner drinks, would be the delightful conversatioon amongst those gathered there.
26 August 2004, 05:26 PM
Braling II
Reminds me of a line from an old Firesign Theatre bit in which the butler says,
"...you can sit here in the Waiting Room, or you can wait here in the Sitting Room."
26 August 2004, 05:29 PM
Korby
Well, I just think back to my grandparents' living room (or parlor....or parlour, if you prefer!); kids were NOT allowed in there and I remember the furniture all covered in plastic! Never seemed like a place kids would want to be, anyway!

Phil, maybe I was British in a previous life!
27 August 2004, 01:59 PM
groon
"The only entertainment there, in addition to the tea, cigars and after dinner drinks, would be the delightful conversatioon amongst those gathered there."

Quite a contrast to the type of "entertaining" being done in the parlor in F451, huh? I bet Ray chose the word "parlor" for that very purpose...
28 August 2004, 04:57 AM
dandelion
Doesn't parlor also have a few sleazy connotations, such as billiards and other amusements?
28 August 2004, 05:12 AM
Gothic
We never had a parlour, but in some of my older aunts' houses there was a room called the 'beste kamer' (literal translation: 'best room'), which usually contained expensive pieces of furniture and art. You weren't supposed to enter them, so there was a certain sense of mystery surrounding them.