https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/3961010011

29 July 2004, 08:27 AM
Green Shadow
Darabont: A Breath of Fresh Air!!
Latest on the REAL F-451:
http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16052
29 July 2004, 10:42 AM
philnic
Hooray for Darabont! It still sounds like it be a couple of years before we get to see it, though.

A curious line from that Empire article:

"The hero, one such fireman, is forced to go on the run after his curious young daughter brings a forbidden book home."

Is that in the book? I hope it's not in the script.

- Phil
29 July 2004, 11:55 AM
lmskipper
Great article, but you're right, philnic about that error, and to me that's a really huge error, too. I wonder if the author of the article never read the novel and relied on Cliffsnotes or some other such source. (Like my students sometimes try to do!) Anyway, I think Darabont raised an interesting idea about this not being a remake because he felt the original movie never quite nailed it. I liked the original movie but did not love it because of the precise reason Darabont gave--it lacked passion. It just never got to me emotionally like I think this story should. I hope this version doesn't take too long.
29 July 2004, 12:13 PM
Braling II
Sounds hopeful; but once bitten, twice shy.
Every time I hear of a Bradbury story being movied, I recall the "Illustrated Man" disaster.
Actually there are a few things I didn't like about the Truffaut version, but the "lack of passion" wasn't one of them.
The lack of passion in the characters reflected the government-control of same (as in THX1138). The MUSIC, though - Bernard Herrmann - masterful. He himself said that he wanted the music to show the repressed emotions and so used all strings (and a little percussion). The music accompanying the final scene (in my opinion) is some of the most heart-wrenchingly gorgeous, on a par with Barber's "Adagio for Strings".

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 07-29-2004).]
29 July 2004, 04:52 PM
Green Shadow
I'm supremely optimistic. I hope Darabont knocks it out of the park. With RB on his side, he can't lose.
30 July 2004, 09:29 AM
Green Shadow
New find: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/050/050825p1.html?fromint=1
02 August 2004, 01:16 PM
groon
Wow, interesting story...

I think Joseph Fiennes will be good, but Charlize Theron is a little old to play Clarisse, no?
03 August 2004, 06:13 AM
dandelion
Charlize Theron will be 29 in a few days.

FYI, Winona Ryder, who someone also remarked was "too old," will be 33 in October!

Why don't they get Anna Paquin or Claire Danes? They're good.
16 August 2004, 08:01 PM
groon
While I was tearing tickets at my theatre job the other day, a couple came out of F911 about 5 minutes into the movie, wanting their money back. "This isn't the one about the fireman!?" the woman said, rather disappointed. "I thought it was that one where Bruce Willis was a fireman who burns books!" The couple did get their money back, and I told them that I wished I could see F451 the movie too! I took comfort, however, in the fact that she also imagined Bruce Willis in the role (see my picks under the "who would you cast for F451 the movie" thread) although I don't know where she got the idea...
17 August 2004, 06:51 AM
dandelion
Now, that's just plain cosmic!