Ray Bradbury Forums
A Simplified Bibliography

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/2917070416

11 March 2012, 11:16 AM
fjp451
A Simplified Bibliography
So, that makes Something Wicked and the mystery trilogy (Death Is a Lonely Business, A Graveyard for Lunatics, Let's All Kill Constance) then are RB's true natural novels?

Curious but true, I was pondering this precise topic of "RB novels" (in preparation for upcoming seminars) before the posts began here?!
11 March 2012, 11:36 AM
philnic
Not forgetting Fahrenheit 451.

However, once we start considering the origin of even these novels, we soon find that they all started as something else!

Fahrenheit 451 - started as a novella, The Fireman

Something Wicked - started as a short story (Black Ferris) and film treatment (Dark Carnival)

Death is a Lonely Business - started (if I recall correctly) as an unpublished short story.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
11 March 2012, 07:11 PM
fjp451
True F451, from Pedestrian "and" Fireman...right!?

SWTWC, true, phil! Intended for Gene Kelley on the big screen originally.

Mr. B has had to maneuver too many magnificent metaphors, a daunting challenge to satisfy within solitary novels!!
13 March 2012, 08:10 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Fahrenheit 451 - started as a novella, The Fireman

But had its earliest beginnings, I learned last evening at Jon Eller's lecture, as another novel, which Ray abandoned. We were blessed with a few snippets from it and it was much darker than 451.

"Live Forever!"
13 March 2012, 08:50 PM
Linnl
Where Ignorant Armies Clash by Night. ? Found in Match to Flame: The Fictional Paths to Fahrenheit 451. The short story "The Smile" originated there.