Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Eeker Big Grin

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In two posts above, I quoted from the recently released memoir of Cassandra Peterson (aka "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark") in which she wrote about her meeting with Ray Bradbury, one of her favorite authors. For a great (and funny) photo of Ray and Elvira together, just click on the link below:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/348817933611196496/

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's SO cute!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the writer Mickey Spillane. He has always been one of my "guilty pleasures", especially his Mike Hammer novels. And Ray Bradbury referred to Mr. Spillane as a "great guy" when his name came up during one of our conversations. I am currently reading the 1967 novel THE BODY LOVERS, one of the few Mike Hammer books I have not read before. At one point in that book, a character remarks that he saw, in his missing sister's purse, a letter postmarked "Bradbury". Mike Hammer responds, "You mean out on the Island?" And the other character replies, "That's the place." The Mike Hammer character later refers to the town of "Bradbury" as being located on Long Island. However, I cannot find any information that such a town exists. I therefore strongly suspect that this reference was Spillane's way of paying tribute to Ray. (If anyone knows anything about a New York town called "Bradbury", I hope you'll post a reply and let me know!)

posted Hide Post
THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS, by British author John Wyndham, originally published in 1951. I am embarrassed to admit that I had never previously read anything by Mr. Wyndham, who is considered one of the finest science fiction writers of all time. (The cover blurb on my copy is from some guy named Stephen King, and reads, "The best writer of science fiction that England has ever produced." I'm not sure how Arthur C. Clarke fans would take that.)

Several of Mr. Wyndham's novels have recently been re-issued in paperback by The Modern Library, including not only DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS but also THE MIDWICH CUCKOOS, which was first published in 1957. I picked up that book as well!

posted Hide Post
OH, WOW, I GET THE 500TH POST!!! I AM PSYCHED!!!!!

Rereading Charlotte's Web by E. B. White for the first time in 52 or 53 years. I was just talking on another forum about books robbed of a Newbery Award, and this number one bestselling children's book, which made the number one spot on several School Library Journal's lists of Top 100 Children's Novels, is the poster child for such robbery. Secret of the Andes by Ann Nolan Clark won because one judge said it was the first good book about South America. At least Charlotte's Web got an honor book though.

posted Hide Post
In the book, Wilbur the pig arrives at the fair on September 6 and just by pure luck I finished reading the book on September 6! I hope everyone here has read Charlotte's Web, the bestselling children's book of all time and a masterpiece. No excuses not to.

posted Hide Post
The link below will take you to a YouTube video, "Carol Marie Reads", in which the host discusses her Ray Bradbury book collection and her favorite Bradbury books. Many of the copies in her book collection are not especially rare, but her love and enthusiasm for Ray Bradbury that was evidenced during the video was quite wonderful. I really enjoyed watching it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXVjI35hrcg&t=938s

posted Hide Post
The exchanges presented in Remembrance: Selected Correspondence of Ray Bradbury are truly amazing. This is a "Must Read" for every friend, fan, and new follower of Mr. Bradbury's life and historic literary works. Dr. Jonathan Eller has perfectly captured all of this in his most recent dedicated and eloquent RB related publication.

The "Raves and Reviews" which conclude this reference to Remembrance say it ALL!!
https://www.simonandschuster.c...adbury/9781668016978

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OFFBEAT, a collection of short stories by one of my favorite writers, Richard Matheson. The book was originally published in 2002 as a signed, limited edition by Subterranean Press, but is now available in a more affordable paperback from Valancourt Books. One of the stories included in the collection is "Two O'Clock Session", which was originally published in the 1991 Ray Bradbury tribute book, edited by William F. Nolan and Martin H. Greenberg, called THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES. As Mr. Matheson himself writes about "Two O'Clock Session" in the afterword to OFFBEAT: "[It] was...part of an anthology in which a number of writers including myself took a shot at attempting to write a 'Bradburyesque' type story. I doubt if any of us managed to equal the quality of Ray's writings. We tried though. The homage was well-intentioned and admiring even if far less than the work of the writer we all admire so much."