Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I just finished Asimov's I, ROBOT in preperation for the movie. It's an absolutely fantastic book with surprising insight into the "human" condition and the apparent blind plight of mankind.

After reading about all those robots I really need a break, so I chose something a little lighter. Now I'm reading a novelization of the animated Star Trek series from the mid-seventies. It's fun, the characters are all familiar, and it's definately light reading.

Next up is probably ENDER'S GAME and SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD by Orson Scott Card.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ender's Game is not very good. Look for the overuse of the word Bugger. I'm currently reading Point Counterpoint and Le Vol de la Nuit. Just finished End Game by Beckett.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone come across this book?
If so, what do you have to say about it?:
http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/x0/x871.htm?authorid=323

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Testing this thread by saying that, while I'm still reading Bradbury's "One More for the Road" and Montgomery's "Anne of the Island," both of which I previously mentioned here, I am also getting around to reading "Metamorphoses," by Ovid. I've always been so/so on ancient myths, but am really looking forward to this version.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What book are you reading currently?
What book did you just finish?
What book will you read next?

Currently reading Earth Abides by George Stewart;
Last book finished was Play Little Victims by Kenneth Cook;
Next book is The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (guess who has an essay on "survival machines" coming up...).

Posts: 6 | Location: Perth, WA, Australia | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read Earth Abides in HS (about 1972). I remember that I loved it. Will be curious to see if you enjoy it as much or if it's gotten dated at all.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished C.S.Lewis's "The Great Divorce". It still has me pondering Heaven, and Hell. Quite the bus ride.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was the real Magical Mystery Tour! By the way, did you know in England there was actually such a thing as a "mystery tour" where people would board a bus for an outing, prepared to stay overnight, but not knowing the destination? This dates back to at least the 1930s!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Paul, Ringo, John,and George were'nt alone with Lucy in the back seat on that tour!

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Nebula Awards Showcase 2004, and a day before that, A Round-Heeled Woman by Jane Juska. Just before that I finished Bradbury Stories (I read only the 8 which I hadn't read before). And a day or two before that, I finished a great book which I'm not sure I should mention (ask dandelion).

Must now read Let's All Kill Constance, which I finally got 2 days ago.

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that "round-heeled" was one of the things Charlie Cowell called Marian the Librarian in "The Music Man" which caused Professor Harold Hill to knock him down.

As to the book, don't merely mention it...PLUG it!

posted Hide Post
I was referring, of course, to Seven for Oregon, by Cornelia Shields, a gripping novelisation of a true frontier tale.

Buy it! Read it! Buy it for your friends! Talk about it on street corners! Buy some spare copies, just in case! Oh, all right. I'll stop now ...

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, dougie dear. That will do.

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I know you've told us before, but my memory escapes me. Where can I purchase your book? I just got my income tax refund and have decided to buy several books I have been meaning to "get to." I am excited to read it!!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my listed e-mail is currently not working, e-mail douglasSP or Nard Kordell, who can supply my correct e-mail, then e-mail me and I will contact you. Thanks for your interest.