Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Fahrenheit 451 - Need help for school

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451 - Need help for school
 Login/Join

posted
Hey yall..hope u guyz are good..
Well can you guys please give me ideas about what to write for my essay. Am suppose to read Fahrenheit 451 for school, and read the biography of Ray Bradbury. I need to find things on how the society he lived in influenced him into writting this book. I also need help on what the book is trying to tell society. I started reading the book but its very hard for me to understand. I will really appreciate it if u guys help me. Thank Smarties

Posts: 1 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finish reading the book.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Smarties:::!!! "

""...very hard for me to understand...""!!
Well, it's time to live up to your name.

'grasstains' got the right idea....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe grasstains and Nard are just being cantankorous. You need to read the book and pull your own ideas out of the reading itself. Then you reflect on what YOU got out of the book. Try to look for repeated patterns and symbols. Look at character development. Look at statements about society.

In some editions of F451, there are afterwards and/or introductions that are written by Ray. Read those. Cliff's notes has some stuff on F451 that provides (obviously) thematic elements, etc. Also, in the last couple years a few books have come out that collect critical commentary on the book and it's themes.

But you really do need to carefully read the book. If the assignment is to also read the biography, then you need to do that, also.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-15-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a hard time finding Bradbury's cadence when I started reading this book too. I remember thinking, What in the world is wrong with this man's wife? What is that thing in her ear? My advice would be if you're having problems would be to ask the teacher. You can ask after class. Just remember to keep the book so you can read it later. That is what's most important.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smarties- I also had a hard time at the beginning of the story, first 30-40 pages. After the second meeting with Clarrisse is where I felt the "The Bradbury Effect". Stick with it, finish reading the book, then do the research. A glorious path lies before you and the riches of the universe await you.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
look... this book is indeed very confusing at times but u must remember that sci-fi is that way. the whole reason Ray Bradbury got started on this whole "writing sci-fi" was because when he was a boy he used to be intrigued by the sci-fi movies that he would watch. Now im not that sure what the whole message of this story was supposed to be but i think it is that knowledge IS NOT dangerous and in this book it is impling that it is. and as you see by the outcome it isnt... so i think it is trying to say that knowledge is not something that will hurt people in that way and that books have nothing to do with wrongful society. But seriously besides what i know it would be best to talk to Ray himself ... send him an e-mail.. im gonna go... so maybe ill hear from you later... bye... and good luck at school!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post