Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello!
 Login/Join

posted
Hello my fellow readers. I am currently new to Raybradbury's books. I only read about two. Witch are Fahrenhiet 451 and The illistrated man. I hope you can inspire me and tell me more about his books. I am currently building a fan site about Ray. The adress is http://www.raybradbury.tk
It is currently under developement but please tell me what it needs.

Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a tall order!

Start with the basics (in addition to the two you cite):

-- Something Wicked This Way Comes
-- The Martian Chronicles
-- S is for Space
-- R is for Rocket
-- The October Country
-- Dandelion Wine
-- I Sing the Body Electric
-- The Vintage Bradbury
-- The Stories of Ray Bradbury
-- The Golden Apples of the Sun
-- A Medicine For Melancholy
-- The Dinosaur Tales
-- The Halloween Tree
-- Quicker Than the Eye
-- The Toynbee Convector
-- One More for the Road
-- Driving Blind
-- From the Dust Returned
-- A Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers

These are just Bradbury books in my library, but it's a start, right? You'll need to move on from there. There are some VERY knowledgeable people who frequent this site who may feel inclined to add detail, breadth, more obscure works, as well as works about Bradbury and his writing.

If you're new to Bradbury, though, I'd suggest you read through all of these as a starting point. You've got to FEEL Bradbury's writing to get it. Reading ABOUT him and his stories is interesting, but it's like reading about making love, rather than making love. There are a lot of things that make Bradbury popular as a writer; but for me, it is the first-hand experience of the texture of his words and the poetic nature of his stories you get ONLY when you are immersed in one of his stories/novels.

Enjoy!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, I will be sure to enjoy all those books that you have mentioned. Boy thats a long list nevertheless! But sure from Fahrenhiet 451 i new that Ray Bradbury was the author that really changed the perpective we look at things now. Im positive that all of you have already began to notice that. Ray wrote so well for the time being in the 50's. I just witsh i could have a talk about the many wonders of life with the writer. Do you know if he plans to write more books, or is he fisished completly?
Thanks again!

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:
Do you know if he plans to write more books, or is he fisished completely?
Thanks again!

Gimpy, the day he stops writing is the sad, sad day that our planet earth bids him adieu; by the same token, it will be a glorious day for the infinite cosmos as it takes his wondrous soul into its very lucky arms. He writes every single day, whether it's a new short story, a part of a play, a poem, or a chapter of a novel. As for specifics on upcoming books, I'm afraid my cerebral matter needs to hop and jump from my morning coffee not yet consumed. Someone like Dandelion probably can bring you up to speed with any specific new projects....

And I just want to state for the record that my favorite collection is The Golden Apples of the Sun, a book filled with incredibly diverse stories written in metaphorically rich prose. Time travel, social satire, and yearning nostalgia are but a few of the themes of this book. It was also published in 1953, the same year as Fahrenheit 451, so if you loved Montag's literate love story/futuristic adventure, you will probably love this collection because both books are pretty close in imagery and sensibility.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nightshade

Someone like Dandelion probably can bring you up to speed with any specific new projects....

A task I won't attempt to undertake at present. 1,000 words a day, every day, from the age of 12. His 12th birthday was August 22, 1932. Anyone up to taking on the job of doing the math?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally would have to request "Something Wicked This Way Comes" because it is a favorite of mine. I haven't finished it yet but so far it seems pretty good.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with calichick I would say Something Wicked This Way Comes. At first the way he writes was a little hard to get use to but once you figure out how he writes then it was a pretty good and interesting book.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:
Hello my fellow readers. I am currently new to Raybradbury's books. I only read about two. Witch are Fahrenhiet 451 and The illistrated man. I hope you can inspire me and tell me more about his books. I am currently building a fan site about Ray. The adress is http://www.raybradbury.tk <br />It is currently under developement but please tell me what it needs. <br /><br />Thank you.
I havn't read those two yet but i have read Something Wicked this way Comes which i thought was a very good book that is easy to get into.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only read Something Wicked, but it was really good. I suggest you read that one. Smiler

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post