Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Great Literature Help!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Literature Help!
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, I am an avid reader and writer. But, unfortunetly, my reading does not consist of what is considered "classic" novels. I would really enjoy some help; some recomendations perhaps? I don't mean classic like Shakespeare just good stories. Just to let you know what kind of tales I do enjoyp; My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye, I also love the Redwall series, Watership Down, The Chocolate War, 1984, etc...
Thanx

Posts: 7 | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redwall!! Watership Down!!!! Yay!!!! At least I know I'm not the only crazy one....

I liked the "Song of Albion" trilogy by Stephen Lawhead and I've been a Stephen King junkie since seventh grade. "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" by Tolkien were great. My biggest literary secret, though.... *deep breath*..... okay! I admit it.... BEOWULF!

Thoreau is good too (esp. "Wild friuts" -- newly released), but they aren't "stories", per say.

~Kris

Posts: 3 | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Earth Sea Trilogy by Ursula K. Leguin.
Papillon by Henre Charre' Only the very first book, Dune by Frank Herbert. Deadly Feasts author unknown about the discovery of
prions, and BSE. giulty pleasure the original book M.A.S.H.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got Dune for Christmas and I have yet to read it. I need to finish the LOtR's trilogy. I've read The Hobbit and The Fellowship. Does anyone if The Simallron(or something named like that) is any good? If so, what's it about? I just finished F451 about 10 minutes ago in my Algebra 2 class. I want to read the Martian Chronociles. Anyone know any books like The Catcher in the Rye?

posted Hide Post
If you want books "like" CATCHER IN THE RYE, some of its better-known offspring--as far as the "alienated youth" theme goes--are THE BELL JAR by Sylvia Plath and A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING GENIUS by Dave Eggers. Others too--but I haven't read them.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 20 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CATCHER IN THE RYE is really a 1950's (loose) retelling of Twain's HUCKLEBERRY FINN. I'd suggest you read that, if you haven't already.
Some others? A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Dickens, THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY by Oscar Wilde, LOOK HOMEWARD ANGEL by Thomas Wolfe, stories by Poe, MOBY DICK by Melville (or if you can't quite face that monstrous novel, try his short stories such as "Billy Budd" and "Bartleby"), THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO and THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA by Hemingway.... all of which have directly influenced Ray Bradbury.
Your aversion to Shakespeare is somewhat sad - you say you like "good stories"; apart from his wizardry with language, Shakespeare was a fantastic storyteller.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HomerOAE, if you get a chance try reading Stienbecks' the Pearl, or Of Mice And Men,
or anything by William Faulkner. Emily Dickenson is good. Her a Rose for Emily is a literature text classic. Robert Frost is an exellent poet.
Washington Irving is a gem. Stephen Crane's "red badge of courage" gives you a slice of the civil war. But if you want fantasy, with eloquent word usage read Shakespeares A Midsummers Night Dream.
If you want Morose, Read Edgar Allen Poe, his fingerprints are running through Mr Bradburys writing. The TellTale Heart is my favorite along with The Pit and the Pendulum. Sounds like you might have some meat for reading this summer.
From the other contributions to this thread, good luck, have fun.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle, your recommendations are great, but you got two authors mixed up in the same paragraph. William Faulkner wrote "A Rose For Emily," not Emily Dickinson. Although yes, that story is beautifully dark and precisely composed -- one of my own favorite short stories from any writer.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HomerOAE, Catcher in the Rye and Watership Down are two of my favorite books as well! Have you ever read anything by William Golding, particularly his most famous work, Lord of the Flies? That book is so dense with metaphors and mythical allusions to man's baser, darker instincts that I think if you loved a "heavy" book 1984, you'll love this one.

Posts: 53 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nightshade, I'm a little blithered, its the end of the semester at the University, and we have been hit in Interlibrary Loan with last minute panic requests, and massive book returns from schools around the country. With graduation here for some, and finals for others. We processed over 1091 serial/monographs/chapters in the Month of March not counting ILL materials. I am on my second course of antibiotics trying to kick a sinus-ear-strep-throat infection. You know you are in trouble when your pharmacist asks do you like yogurt? The only bright spot this weekend is time on the porcelain unit with my new copy of One For The Road. It is well worth finding. At least no one will be bothering me.

posted Hide Post
Sorry a little more information than you needed to know I'm sure. I forgot to mention H.G. Wells or Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Each are SF/Fantasy Fodder, Jules Verne has to be the granddaddy of them all though when it comes to original material.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the all the help! I've read most of Poe's work. I have been meaning to read The Lord of the Flies for a long, long time. But every time I decide to pick up a new book I forget to read it. I am currently reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight. My friend has been bugging me to read it forever. But I got him to start reading The Chocolate War so it was an even trade. But this week in school we have state tests all week so plenty of free time to read!

posted Hide Post
Oooo, wait. I just remembered one of my all time favorite books. Pure Drivel by Steve Martin! Does anyone know any great humorous books? Or how I can find more stuff by Mr. Martin without buying the New Yorker...
Thanx

posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the Lord of the Flies recommendation, and what about To Kill a Mockingbird? Can't leave that one out. I had to read one in an advanced reading group in school called The Book of the Dun Cow - it has stuck with me over the years and I keep meaning to read it again. For you sci-fi fans, there is one called Season of Passage that is by Christopher Pike I think and it is CREEPY! I haven't been able to forget that one!

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mockingbird is an all time classic. I am surprised it did not show up more often.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-02-2002).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post