Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Love Story Collection!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love Story Collection!
 Login/Join

posted
This reader would personally LOVE to see a collection of Bradbury love stories--perhaps presented along the lines of a progression, a la William Blake, from innocence ("One Timeless Spring") to experience ("A Story of Love" aka "These Things Happen"), triumph ("Hopscotch") to loss ("Heart Transplant"), perhaps even to tragedy ("Ylla") with little stops of whimsy ("Love Contest," "They Knew What They Wanted," "The Great Fire") and magic ("The April Witch") with a touch of fear ("Gotcha!") to a final journey ("Death and the Maiden") along the way. With or without connecting "bridge-passages," (maybe even Cecy as the connecting character) Bradbury in/on Love could amount to a magical excursion!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

Excellent point! And clearly you've given it much thought. Some of the stories you listed are Bradbury's most powerful. Who would've thought him a writer of love stories?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not an argument, just a supplementary thought. One of the things I have always liked about Bradbury's work is the ever-present theme of love (or the lack of it). Even in stories like, "The Dwarf", love is a primary thematic element. Ylla, in Martian Chronicles? About love and jealousy. Earthlings are repelled -- not by the armies of the Martians -- but by a jealous husband. "Rocket Man" is about a man who is conflicted between love of earth/family and love of space.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Are you getting a little gun-shy about arguments on this board? Can't say I blame you.

Your and Dandelion's point is an interesting take on Bradbury's work. Normally he's viewed as a fantasy/sci-fi/macabre writer but love writer? A closer read reveals this is so. Interesting indeed.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gun-shy on stupid, opinionated, aggressive arguments . . . but I'm always open to discussions about Bradbury. I have "Cat's Pajamas" but haven't had time to read it, yet. I'm anxious to do so. I think Bradbury's classic works are really classic, though.

I don't see his status as a sci-fi/fantasy writer as being exclusive to dealing with themes of love. I think a good portion of his writing -- poetry, religious perspectives, fantasies, sci-fi, nostalgia - deal with love or the lack of love. I see this as a major theme for Bradbury.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 08-07-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,
Here's a review that should make you want to read your copy of The Cat's Pajamas ASAP:
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/ae/articles/0808bradbury08.html

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, concise review. I am anxious to read it. I'm working a new job after a long layoff, and am having to readjust to a demanding schedule while trying not to sacrifice the "fun" stuff I began while being layed off. I'm still re-learning how to manage my time, in other words.

posted Hide Post
Two more love stories for the collection:

"Gotcha" - which I find quite a disturbing end-of-the-affair tale

"The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" - which is quite amusing in places

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Cat's Pajamas", from the new book, of course, is a very sweet love story.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea of a love story collection is wonderful, and thought-provoking. It could well be one of the most moving Bradbury experiences ever. The icing on the cake would be to have a few unpublished love stories come to light, or ideally, a few new ones as yet unpenned. It could truly be a defining work, and I'd love to see it happen.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tete a tete

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would "Some Live Like Lazarus" qualify as a love story?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Better Part of Wisdom" certainly would. How about "Long after Midnight" and "The Shoreline at Sunset?"

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post