Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
The Col. is kind of a bit part isn't it. I would agree on all mentioned for the grandfather maybe.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
...Colonel Freeleigh should be played by either Robert Duval, Paul Newman or Sam Shepard.

I would go for an actor who is even older than any of those guys, as Col Freeleigh (to me) is a really old man. Don't ask me who, though.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad Burt Mustin isn't still around...
http://www.1966batfan.com/Burtmust7.jpg

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I would go for an actor who is even older than any of those guys, as Col Freeleigh (to me) is a really old man. Don't ask me who, though.

In the book, he's ninety.

He should be played by 4SJ.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Too bad Burt Mustin isn't still around...

We have enjoyed Burt on the old Griffith Show (and others) for years - wonderful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burt would be perfect.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was Burt Mustin born old? He certainly stayed that way for decades!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of us will remember him as "Gus the fireman" on "Leave it to Beaver". Must not have had age restrictions on public servants in those days.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I do Dandelion Wine unit, I have a bulleten board posted with countless images that represent vaious parts of the story. One of them my favorites is a Civil War Journal (c. 1970's) that has articles, maps, and pictures of battlefields and soldiers. Well, on the front cover is a photograph of an old Northern officer in full regalia. The portrait was obviously taken to acknowledge the gentleman's status then, while capturing his distinguished senior personage in its proud appearance in full uniform after.

I have put that picture up countless times and always felt a familiarity with the man, somehow. I knew of Mr. Mustin and his many characters over the years but never put the links together. (So, Sundance the metaphors transcend!)

The old C.W. officer looks much like this, though he is in dark (Northern Blue) uniform, wears a hat, and has a sword across his lap, as he sits: The likenesses of Old Burt & CW Officer visages are uncanny!
http://www.ronleon.com/cadet.jpg

(This a young Burt, 1903!)

If I can dig out a web photo (by chance) of the officer, I will post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Ghostbusters (not excluding the sequel)- the whole mix of fighting the forces of darkness and winning.

2. Charlie Angels 2: full throttle (same with the prequel)- the world can keep on damning this on but for me I needed a laugh and it felt great to watch.

3. Doctor Detriot- Dan Ackyord at his nuttiest and that's saying alot. The subtitle for me on this picure is "what I DID at the college."

4. Johnny Dangerously- good kid stuff. heh. back when Wierd Al became a king and the world noticed.

5. Blind Date- bruce willis' pic. nuff said.

6. Blake Edward's Skin Deep- amusing movie with the late John Ritter as the man kid who has to grow up.

7. Blake Edward's (take two) A fine mess- I'm starting to think that Mr. Edward's had me in mind when writing the howie mandel part.

"to be or not to be"
will shakespeare

"...uh what's that mean."
---me

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been to Fargo many times. Does that count for anything?

Seriously, I would count The Wizard of Oz as one I have enjoyed over the years.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can play this game. I have probably enjoyed The Nightmare Before Christmas more than any other film I've ever seen. The rest of these movies are movies that I thoroughly enjoy every time I see them in their entirety or just catch a few minutes of them on television.

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas.
2. Big Fish
3. The Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring.
4. The Matrix
5. The Iron Giant (What a great film that is underrated. "You are what you choose to be."
6. Breaking Away
7. Shawshank Redemption

That's all I can think of right now. I've only seen parts of Pulp Fiction on TV and each time it seems like a fantastic movie. But I'm afraid to watch the full movie version.

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blind Henry:
But I'm afraid to watch the full movie version.

Don't be - it's brilliant. One of the top ten films of its decade. It's right up there with Fargo.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Reading back through the thread. Noticed WaterWorld was mentioned. I thought it was very, very entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know it was broadly panned, and people made fun of its production cost overruns, but I think it did (as posted earlier) make money in the worldwide market, so the producers got the last laugh on that one. The girl was very good in it, the little girl was very, very good in it, and Dennis Hopper was also great.

I also loved the Postman (based on a David Brinn book, if I remember correctly). I thought the movie and book were both very good. I found the closing scenes of the movie to actually be touching. I liked the message of the book, thought it was well acted and written, and just enjoyed it.

I think Costner gets panned horribly, but in these two I thought he did a good job. (Also enjoyed him in Field of Dreams and some others).

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
I think Costner gets panned horribly, but in these two I thought he did a good job. (Also enjoyed him in Field of Dreams and some others).

Costner was terrific in Field of Dreams and very good in Dances with Wolves, but I must say, in certain films (like maybe Prince of Thieves), he's horrible!

"Live Forever!"