Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"Not long before he died, Gene Siskle said FARGO was the closest thing to the "perfect" film he'd ever seen. So, being a big fan of RAISING ARIZONA, I ran out to see it. And hated it. I went in expecting a quirky, dark comedy like RAISING ARIZONA and ended up seeing something which more resembled PULP FICTION."

grasstains,

In discussions/debates over the years, FARGO always turns out to be the "line in the sand". It's either loved or hated. I hated it, too.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off the cuff:

Godfather 1 & 2

Shawshank Redemption

Saving Private Ryan

Apollo 13

Once Upon A Time In The West (& America)

Casablanca

Marathon Man

The Graduate

On The Waterfront

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The Cowboys

Hero

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

Giant

East Of Eden

Cool Hand Luke

The Hustler

Schindlers List

The Deer Hunter

Raging Bull

Rocky 1

Slaughterhouse Five

To Catch A Thief

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool Hand Luke. Now, there's a movie.
"Shakin' the bush. Boss!!"
"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

A few classics:
The Great Escape
Stalag 17
Field of Dreams
African Queen
King Kong (orig.)
Dr. Strangelove
Of course, The Adventures of Robert Leroy Parker & Harry Longbaugh

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
================================================

41) HARRY AND THE HENDERSONS

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AVALON
(lost as Best Picture of the Year to The Green Mile)

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple of movies that came to mind:

Dances With Wolves
Amadeus(?)
True Grit

Also, any movie with Jack or David Cassidy in it including Columbo movies. Gotcha!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
City Lights
The Kid
The Klondike
Citizen Kane
The Maltese Falcon
The Wizard of Oz
How Green Was My Valley
Lassie Come Home
National Velvet
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
Friendly Persuasion
The Time Machine
This Planet Earth
The Forbidden Planet
From The Earth To The Moon (Heinlein)
All John Ford Films
All Alfred Hitchcock Films
84 CHARRING CROSS ROAD
Noting Hill
Love Actually
As Good As It Gets
All Steven Spielberg films including “Duel”
Somewhere In Time
Sea Biscuit
Dreamer
Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron
Lonesome Dove
Conneger
Red River
Anything with Bogi and Bacall
Anything with Tracey and Hepbern
Cheaper By The Dozen
The Egg And I
All Frank Capra Films

Oh, man, this is too much of a brain drain. I’m not even listing anything current because I’ve got to get a perspective on it. For every one that I listed there are probably twenty more.

Takin' a rest here, Boss!!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SOMEWHERE IN TIME!!! I love that one, too.

Did you know??? The soundtrack was a top twenty hit in Japan.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites, as well. The author has a tiny cameo scene in the hotel. I own the first edition, signed by Matheson and the DVD and I watch it anytime it is on. A true masterpiece of romantic film making. A love for the ages.
Check out the website:

http://www.somewhereintime.tv/

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My top ten
1) The Magnificent Seven
2) Zulu
3) The Adventures of Mark Twain (Frederick March)
4) The Wizard of Oz (1939)
5) The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
6) Master and Commander
7) Holiday Inn
8) On Golden Pond
9) My Favorite Year
10)It Happened One Night

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Once again, here's a film which I have heard was one of the really bad films of all time.

I haven't seen it, therefore cannot comment.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the old bellhop in Somewhere In Time. I liked how it showed him as a boy. That same elder actor was in a hilarious episode of Seinfeld. Would he make a perfect Colonel Freeleigh in the movie Dandelion Wine. Doug, quick, find out who that actor is and utilize him in the film....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Doug, quick, find out who that actor is and utilize him in the film....

Shucks - I'm just starting to write the screenplay. One chapter done so far.

Still have to show it to Mr B next week and get his blessing, then have to get the job!

It's a start.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shucks is a superlative word

You've obviously got the love and the vision for the project, good luck with it. Or am I supposed to say, break a leg Douglas?

posted Hide Post
Bill Erwin played Arthur and is still active in TV but Colonel Freeleigh should be played by either Robert Duval, Paul Newman or Sam Shepard.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post