Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Director: Martin Scorsese
Montag: Guy Pierce
Beatty: Robert DeNiro
Clarisse: Maggie Gyllenhaal
Mildred: Jennifer Connely
Faber: John Lithgow

All I could think while reading this novel was how awesome it would be if directed by Martin Scorsese.

Posts: 2 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag: tobey macguire
Clairese: the girl from American Dreams
Beatty: Jack Nickolson
Director: Ron Howard

Posts: 5 | Location: Nitro, WV | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Director:
Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Montag:
Aidan Quinn or Robert Downey, Jr.

Beatty:
John Malkovich, James Caan (or that fellow that played the English Captain who fights Mel Gibson, in the movie, The Patriot)

Clairisse:
Jennifer Connely

Mildred:
Debra Winger

Music:
Carter Burwell

Faber:
Richard Atttenborough

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
Are these the Coen's who did Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? If so, I loved that movie! George Clooney was inspired.
Also, I'm glad to see you, like me, are thinking Robert Downey, Jr. might work in the role of Montag. Troubled, gifted...its all in his eyes.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GreenShadow:
Right, same people who did..." Brother, Where Art Thou"

That other fellow I recommended for Beatty, who played that awful miserable English Captain in "The Patriot"...also landed a part in the 2nd Harry Potter, playing that guy with the really long white hair. Gosh darn...I gotta get his full name, correct spelling...and know the names of the characters he plays in other movies. Double Duh!!))

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Director: Ridley Scott (Spielburg would turn it into a fairy tale)
Montag: the guy from "The Pretender", or the actor who played Max in "Pi"
Faber: Robin Williams
Clarisse: Anna Paquin or Christina Ricci (too old?)
Beatty: Gary Oldman
Mildred: Naomi Watts

Posts: 5 | Location: Eveleth, Minnesota, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Director: Ridley Scott!! If not him, Terry Gilliam or Adrian Lyne (watch Jacob's Ladder, then you know why!).

But I would wish either C. Nolan, Richard Kelly or Aronofsky to direct it. Fahrenheit needs somebody young and talented.

Montag: Jude Law would be my first choice. Second one... Guy Pearce.

Clarisse: Natalie Portman, or, lean back: AVRIL LAVIGNE! She never acted before, don't even know if she can, but she reminded me of her.

Mildred: Hmm... hard one... it stands between Cameron Diasz, Nicole Kidman and Juliane Moore. Diasz can play sooo fucked up...

Beatty: Al Pacino or John Malcovich

Faber: Robin Williams... sounds odd, but why not? Older? Uhm... Ian Holm.

Posts: 21 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Celsius232:
[B]Director: Ridley Scott (Spielburg would turn it into a fairy tale)

Yeah, he allreaddy messed up Minority Report... god I hate that last quartal!

Posts: 21 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JUST FORGOTT HIM!!

Tim Burton and David Fincher! THAT WOULD BE A MOVIE!!!

posted Hide Post
Given that, in the book, Montag is 30 years old, I would go with a younger actor. The casting would be difficult. It would be interesting to see Nicole Kidman as Mildred. Anthony Hopkins would be interesting as Beatty.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When It's Slow At Work We Play This Game Sometimes. The Funnest One So Far Was Gilligan's Island /All Black Cast.

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People keep coming up with new and
interesting suggestions here- cool! Nard, I love the Cohens' movies, but I don't know if their unique, underhanded surreal spin on the commonplace would be right for F451. Barton Fink was another matter (God, what a wierd movie that was). And, Carter Burwell is one of the best film composers we have today! That guy from the Patriot and Harry Potter (I don't know his name either- my friends and I have sometimes just referred to him as that "evil actor". As for Amadeus, I would add up "young punk, fantastically gifted, tragically naive, and historically inaccurate." Great movie, but pretty liberally dramatised...

While I generally can appreciate and get something out of David Lynch's movies, I would much prefer a F451 with a recognizable plot. Aranofsky is an interesting choice- with real potential; he's still starting out, though. I'd like to see a couple more of his efforts before giving something as dear to our hearts as F451 to him.

Terry Gilliam and David Fincher are interesting prospects to direct, each for very different reasons. Brazil and The Game might both have a little Bradbury potential in them, in their own ways.

I stick by the first directorial prospect offered here, and my initial pick, as well. I was thinking about this topic just last night, coincidentally, after watching Empire of the Sun- that Spielberg comes as close as anyone to capturing the Feel of Bradbury on the screen. Maybe he would make it into a Fairy Tale. Isn't that kind of what it is? Isn't that kind of what everything is, to some extent? A cautionary tale, but one that, rather than warn us about the dangers of disobeying our parents and straying from the path, warns us about the dangers inherent in ourselves as a society. Sometimes, the oldest stories are the truest, and we find ourselves returning to the same stomping ground again and again, in a different disguise each time...

Cheers to a work in progress,
Dan

[This message has been edited by DanB (edited 04-28-2003).]

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raintaster:
Tell me that Samuel L. Jackson plays the Skipper and I'll die a happy man...

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Enjoyed your take. Interesting. By Brazil did you mean Boys from Brazil? That's an old but terrific movie. Who directed it?
Denzel as Montag? What about a Latin cast? I really think that in a perfect world a director should choose the most gifted actors not the best draws. But I guess that's utterly naive.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DanB. As A Matter Of Fact It Came Down To Samuel L. Or Bernie Mac With Dave Chappelle Or Chris Tucker As Gilligan. Terry Gilliam Is A Great Choice As Director, I Also Liked The Tim Burton And Cohen Bros. Suggestions, But Has Anybody Thought About Peter Weir?

Posts: 42 | Location: SACRAMENTO, CA. U.S.A. | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post