Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick director / cast the leads in 451 re-make
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
For an actor with less box office draw (but not unknown) try Kyle Chandler as Montag. For more box office draw, Charlie Sheen. They both fit the general description, and Charlie has so much attitude--I'm sure they'd play it rather differently. I know if (please, NO!) David Lynch were doing it he'd want (GOD FORBID!) Kyle MacLachlan. I guess DUNE had to be remade, they screwed that up so bad. I could even see Tom Cruise--he made a believer of Anne Rice. Martin Sheen would be good as one of the older characters. He's one of those rare actors (like Dean Stockwell) who are so wonderful they're equally great, and fun to watch, as good or bad guys! (Gregory Peck keeps trying for this but can't quite pull it off.)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kind of like Nightshade's spread, but I might switch Hopkins with Hackman. Hackman played a great "support the guy on the run" character in "Enemy of the State". And Hopkins could put an evil glint into Beatty that would make us cheer his death by fire. Kevin Spacey as Montag is very tempting. He's just crazy enough to be on the edge of nuts, but can pull of a great sense of naive innocence.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love playing this game. Hopkins would, indeed, make a great Beatty. What about Robert Downy, Jr. for Montag?? There's something about him that works on many levels. What do you think?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Shadow:::::::

When Robert Downey Jr. was in jail, I wrote him a letter...that one actually got thru. The second letter, I mentiond that perhaps a Bradbury project might interest him, since 451 was being talked about then. That letter I got back. Downey Jr. had been released from jail.

At another time when in LA couple years. ago, I stopped at a small, car rental place, near Los Angeles Airport (LAX) , where they told me there were no cars immediately available. As I was walking out, I see this fellow sitting at the desk, filling out a paper...and say to myself.... "I know this guy...from somewhere."

But I walked out... Lo!.. Can't walk far... I DO know this guy. So I walk in and ask, "Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?" And with a bit of this or that mumble from each of us... he suddenly bluts out, "Why, I am an actor."

Suddenly I blurt out louder, "Hey, you're the bad guy in Mel Gibson"s The Patriot.

And so he was. He also turns up in the second Harry Potter Movie, sporting long white hair. In a pinch, this early morning in Chicago, can't think of the actor's name, (Brain cells do dimish with age)....

But to get to the point... I sent a tape of 'The Patriot' to Ray...and said...this guy would make a great Beatty.

So at least there is enough suggestions out there..certainly all across all the boards....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-17-2002).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great stories, Nard. Did Robert Downey write back the first time? I'm just hoping that the re-make happens, and Robert Downey is my new first choice for Montag. It would be refreshing to have a dark-haired Montag, Clarisse, and Faber, as well, to show their individuality in a totalitarian, blond, blue-eyed master-race.

posted Hide Post
Robert Downey could be a good Montag. I like Spacey if Montag is played a little older, but Downey Jr might be a good younger Montag. I don't remember how old he was in the book. (yes, memory cells do seem to die off!)

I admit that I kind of resent these rich, talented people who can't seem to grow up, though.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmm...that's about everyone who's made their fortune in film, sports, or the music industry!

posted Hide Post
Green Shadow / Mr. Dark:::::::::
That's one of the reasons I disliked so Amadeus, the movie.... young punk stupid arrogant idiot.....

Years later, seeing the film with a slightly different attitude, I only somewhat disliked so Amadeus, the movie....young punk stupid arrogant idiot...and extremely gifted.

I think if I saw the movie now, it would be....young punk stupid arrogant idiot, extremely talented, and tragically naive...

Green Shadow:::::: No, Downey Jr. never wrote back....too bad! But then I didn't expect him to.... He was a mess... Gibson was filming in Chicago couple years ago, a film called Payback...and I was standing across the street while he was watching the "rushes" just shot on a small monitor....As he started walking away, I was going to hollar out , "Hey, Montag!!" Like, really loud .... That's when he was considering doing 451. At the very last second, I didn't hollar. To this day, I wish I had....

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-17-2002).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Director: Milos Forman
Montag: Kevin Costner
Beatty: Dustin Hoffman
Clarisse: Anna Paquin
Mildred: Julianne Moore
Faber: Martin Landau

A bit of an all-star cast; probably too expensive. Someone may take exception with my Montag, but I am prepared to defend my choice. You have to admit, though, Faber is right on the money, eh?!

Sincerely,
Matthew Allen

Posts: 8 | Location: Antioch | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
director:spike lee (ha HA!!)Actually, speilburg.

montag: matthew McConaughey
Clarrisse: LeeLee sobieski; cameron diaz
mildred: charlize theron or cameron diaz
faber: Samuel Jackson (yea yea a black faber ha!)
beatty:Bruce willis (he has a crazed glint in his eye. PErfect for the role.

Posts: 8 | Location: california | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Director: Spielberg or James Cameron
Montag: Tom Hanks (WHY has noone mentioned him?)or Ewan McGregor
Beatty: Patrick Stewart
Clarisse: The blonde girl from "American Dreams" TV show or Natalie Portman.
Mildred: Kirstie Alley

Does anyone know who is writing the screenplay?

Posts: 5 | Location: Nitro, WV | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, all. It's been a while since I've been up here (my computer has been quite ill) but i'm enjoying catching up on everything that's been recently posted.

I'd fully agree with Anthony Hopkins as Beatty, and if the director wanted him played younger, I'd substitute John Malkovich. Both have showed that they can possess that kind of cold intellect and emotional disconnection. Jena Malone is a great pick for Clarrise, I agree. Faber, I think, might work better as someone who appears more innocuous, like Richard Attenbough, perhaps. It seems the majority of folks have settled on Spielberg, and I must agree that his films, independently, come in a rather close approximation to Ray Bradbury's exuberant style.
Montag... who knows? Ed Harris is a good actor, certainly, but I'd go for someone perhaps younger, with more self-doubt: how about Luke Wilson?

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luke Wilson is an interesting idea. Does he have the "edge" required to come out in rebellion against the system? How about Edward Norton? I could see him going from an innocent party-line guy to an open rebel.

posted Hide Post
A chess game of options. Been thinking that Nicole Kidman would be a good Mildred. Her range as an actress is quite impressive. I'm still inclined to go with Ed Harris as Montag; he would work well with her as would Jude Law. I think I've ruled out Robert Downey, Jr. as Montag for now. Your move.

posted Hide Post
I must agree with greensparkler on the unknowns thing, but for the sake of this post, here's what I've always thought.
Montag: Bruce Willis - he can play the phisical oriented role which contains just a hint of curiousity about books, without really knowing what to do with it.
Faber: Christopher Lloyd - a bit obvious, perhaps, but I really liked the idea someone had about Morgan Freeman, I think that'd really work.
Beatty: Gene Hackman - nuff said.
The White Clown: - Jim Carrey
For the other characters I have a few different (but no concrete) ideas. Someone mentioned Kevin Spacey? Maybe he could be Granger? For Mildred I think any stupid Hollywood blonde would do. For Clarisse though, I think it would have to be someone who could display some kind of intelligence, so I like the Natalie Portman idea. I just think that the mechanical hound would suck if it was computer animation. It would look WAY cooler if it was stop motion. Denham's Dentrifice the techno remix?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post