Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    sand of thunder?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sand of thunder?
 Login/Join

posted
sup everybody. i could probably find the answer to this question if i looked hard enough around, but i really don't feel like it, so if your bored and have nothing to do...

i was told bradbury wrote this story called something like "Sands of Thunder" and it was available to read on the net. I can't find any mention of this short story anywhere, although after looking around this site, it seems this dude's written something like 5 billion short stories. anyways, the story is supposed to be about time travel or something, and somebody goes back in time and then screws up something in the future, or something like that. (sorry for the comepletely ambigious synopsis, but that's really all i know )

So what i'd like to now is: Is that the correct name of the story, and is it really public domain, if so, where at, if not, in what book can i find it?

so in case you happen to know, if you could point me in the right direction i'd be really grateful. Thanks.

Andrew

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Andrew man, like, what's going on with you?? Aint this like weird, dude....like you, know...all the stuff that's happening tonight... sinking sands...and sands this and sands that... or is it sans? Hey, man, maybe it's '''sans'''!!!

Naw!. Just kidding.

Hey, Andrew... so how come you can't find the INFORMATION?... like it's all here, dude-man.

Alright.. alright.. you want me to do the work.. okay. okay... Well.. it ain't about sand, man. Hey... sandman! Get it?

NO sandman.
It's SOUNDMAN!!!! Well, leave out the ''man''.. it's just ''sound''. Like, ''Sound of Thunder''. Okay, got it?

That's the name of the story, "Sound of Thunder"...

Hey, Dude, I gotta cut. But if I find out the book it's in, I'll spin back this way and let you know... okay?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously a case of moderate to severe "post-butterfly shock"!

For the information of anyone who cares, works by living or recently-deceased authors are never public domain. The only exceptions of which I know are, if something was created before a certain given date (at least 70--75 years back) and the copyright was never renewed in all that time, it can become public domain, even if the author is 100 years old and still on life support someplace, or if it was made under special circumstances, such as the author signed away all rights and the company went out of business or something. In most cases, the rule is, "The life of the author plus 70 years." In some cases, I think the author's heirs or estate can renew copyrights and keep them going a certain amount of time, but if nothing new is done in that amount of time, it becomes public domain anyway. That was why the big deal a few years ago about the estate of Margaret Mitchell appointing an author to write a sequel to "Gone with the Wind." If they hadn't acted by a certain time, EVERYONE would have written one, including "Gone with the Sand...Man."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. It's amazing the type of different responses you can recieve on forums simply by the way you phrase your question. Nard, I totally love you man! Where do you live? I'm guessing not in the US. Am I right?

Thanks Imskipper for answering my question and Dandelion for clarification on the definition of public domain.

So the story is called "Sound of Thunder" and it was published in R is for Rocket. Awesome. Thanks again all.

Peace out.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

See that little square with the question mark, right next to the ...''posted date and time''....? at the top of any single posting....
Well, click on that, on any post, and it'll give you a run down on the person who posted the topic...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that story soooooooo much. it sorta reminds me of a simpsons episode though. theyre making a movie of "sound of thunder" you know, Ben Kingsley is in it. cya all

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember the song "A Taste of Honey?" Well every time I read the title "A Sound of Thunder" on this site, that song pops into my head, but the lyrics are changed to "A Sound of Thunder." I've been thinking this for a very long time, but I haven't told anyone until now. I guess I should've put this in the "you may be a RB fan if..." thread.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post