Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Reading "Homecoming" Tradition

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reading "Homecoming" Tradition
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for help with a conundrum. My live-in Fiancee of 8 years, Lisa, had a tradition of reading the short story "Homecoming", every Halloween. When we became involved, I started reading it to her.

In late July of 2009, she died in tragic circumstances. This Halloween tradition was the most important event that I had to get used to losing - so I decided not to lose it. It's a great tradition, I think, and so I wanted to continue it. I wanted to read "Homecoming" to an audience of my friends and loved ones, each Halloween. Many of these do not live nearby, so a party was a good idea, yet would probably include a very small group.

Then I thought of broadcasting my reading on the web. It took until early this year to figure out a way to do this effectively. That way is the self-broadcasting service, U-Stream. I would pay them for the privilege of making a broadcast via their system, and then I could broadcast my reading live. I could even restrict access to those I want to be able to see it.

The issue is: Ray Bradbury's Copyright. Would such a broadcast violate it? While I would be paying to make the broadcast, I would not be making any money from it; yet I don't know if that is enough to make it a "Fair Use". And what about the recording I want to make, so that those who miss the moment can access it when they have time?

I don't want to challenge the Copyright - I'm just trying to share this great story, and the tradition Lisa and I built around it, with a widespread group of others. Can anyone help me with information on whether this is within the "Fair Use" limits - and if not, how I go about asking for permission to use the work in this instance? I'd like to do this every year. Smiler

~Christopher Hall

Posts: 4 | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

Its a beautiful idea. There may be board members that can help. Best of luck, and be well.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
Welcome!

Its a beautiful idea. There may be board members that can help. Best of luck, and be well.

Linnl, your best wishes are deeply appreciated.

Come on, folks! Isn't there any more? Surely there's someone who can tell me if I'm safe - or how to get someone to approve this usage? Is there, as a last resort, a way to bring my plea before Mr. Bradbury himself, to his in-oh-so-low-demand attention? Is there no one else here even interested in the question? I can't make heads or tails of the sites on Copyright Law I find on the Web. U-stream says nothing - except, perhaps, "We want your money". If I'm asking in the wrong place, can no one tell me "Dude, you're looking in the wrong place; try here"? I could really use the help, and I'm out of other ideas for where to get it!

posted Hide Post
HalloweenHomecomer,

Have you tried Mr. Bradbury's agent?

http://www.1000literaryagents....ry-agent.php?id=1461

Best, Linnl

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will now! Smiler

posted Hide Post
Christopher, I somehow missed your original post. I think Linnl's advice is best: contact his agent. Alternatively, write directly to

Ray Bradbury
c/o Author Mail, 11th Floor
HarperCollins Publishers
10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

By the way, I don't understand why you would pay Ustream. They offer a free service which ought to meet your needs. I've used it myself for live broadcasting. Let me know if you need more information.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly do need some more information about Ustream's free broadcasting! Please tell me how to find it - I must be looking at their site wrong. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Here's the basic instruction page:

http://www.ustream.tv/get-started

...and I've never been asked for a penny!

No doubt they offer services for large organisations, and no doubt they have a system of fees for this... but for individuals and small, non-commercial organisations it's free. (Unless something has changed since my last university broadcast at the beginning of October!)

There is the odd bit of advertising attached to the broadcasts, but they're no more intrusive than the ones you see on YouTube.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post