Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Do you remember this?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you remember this?
 Login/Join

posted
I recall a lovely early story in which a boy's dog is killed, he won't cry or grieve until his teacher comes to see him and simply kneels to his level and cries with him. I was not much older than the kid in the story when I read it, and now I find it a perfect example of empathy. Can anyone provide a title?

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC  | Registered: 28 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I have to go with 100% not Bradbury on this one.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...Unless this is a highly scrambled memory of the Bradbury short story "The Emissary". In which the teacher dies, but the dog lives.

"The Emissary" is to be found in THE OCTOBER COUNTRY and in THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Emissary" was the only one this even reminded me of. The other dog stories don't have a teacher and the other teacher stories don't have a dog.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post