Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Mildred & Montag

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mildred & Montag
 Login/Join

posted
What do you think about Mildred and Montag's relationship?

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, Il, USA | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The relationship between Montag and Mildred is very distant and lacks love. Mildred is obsessed with watching television and refuses to engage in conversation with her husband about their marriage or her feelings. Her suicide attempt, which she refuses even to acknowledge, shows that she is definitely not happy with her meaningless life. Mildred does not understand Montag and apparently has no desire to do so. I think that there was once a time Montag did truly love Mildred, but he loved her for the person she used to be, not the person she's become. I think that deep down he does care about her, because when she overdosed on those pills he got frightened and in the end when the war is going on, he thinks of her. But other than that, their relationship is very distant and they don�t really know each other, though they live in the same house. They don't even remember where they first met.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, Il, USA | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Joanna about MIldren and Mantags relationship. a married couple should be deep in love and always wanting to be with eachoher, however in the book they are so distant and really come to find that they dont really know much about eachother. It's kind of sad, because it makes you ask yourself, "why are they married?" Their relationship is very poor and they dont seem like they love eachother one bit, and they start to realize that slowly by themselves.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, IL, US | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joanna,i too agree with your observation. I feel that Montag cared more for Mildred than Mildred did for Montag. But i feel that this isn't Montag's or Mildred's fault. The society that they live is has them the way they are- cold and distant. It isn't just Guy's and Milli's relationship that has become a failure, but also the other characters in the book. Milli's friend for example, has already had thee, four diffrent marraiges. There is no real emotion in the society they live in, nor communication. None of the couples are willing to put things aside, such as the family, friends, or "fun" things to have a open minded talk. In my current speech class, we were talking, and an intresting comment came up, " The cause that most marriages end up in divorce is for lack of communication and understanding." In this book, the characters seem to prove this statement true. Divorce wasn't as common in the 1950's when this book was written, but if it were more modern, do you think that Mildred and Montag would have divorced for lack of communication? There clearly seems to be no understanding in their relationship, for Mildred does not see why Montag has the curiousity to read books, nor does she want to understand. At the same time, Montag is stubborn and doesn't care about Millie's feelings of not wanting him to read books, for he could destroy their entire life that is so "precious" her, wheather it be for good or bad reasons. In the end however, i feel that Mildred was the weakest in their maratal relationship, but it however was bother their faults- A relationship isn't just a one way street, so noone can point their finger at someone and say it was necessarly all their fault.

Posts: 3 | Location: Lemont, Il, USA | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mildred and Montag's relationship is not one of love by any means, neither of the two know eachother at all, even though they've been married for ten years. This is shown greatly when Montag asks Mildred if she remembered where and when they meet, and she didn't know. Mildred is obsessed with the parlor 'family' while Montag is busy with his work and later with his search for greater knowledge through books. This relationship could be a good one if the two acctually tried to work on it. Though it seems that there is no love in the relationship Montag still is very distressed when the city is bombed and Mildred is still in there. Also Mildred shows a certain amount of love for Montag when she agrees to go through the books with him, and when he reads the poetry and makes up a fake story to save him.

Dan

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag and Mildred dont have a good relationship.. Mildred is way too obbsessed with her T.V, and doesnt really talk to Montag. She doesnt look too happy if she try to commit suicide either... so i acually think it was good that Mildred left so Montag could find someone to have a better relationship with. I think Montag acually did love and care for her though, but i dont think Mildred really cared for anything, exept her T.V.

Posts: 5 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 20 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post