Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Metal covered Faranheit 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal covered Faranheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished Faranheit 451 and it was outstanding. When I was a child, I remembered seeing a metal (aluminum etc) covered special edition of the book. It was so interesting in the irony of it. Does anyone know where I can find this? I would love to have it in my collection.

Posts: 1 | Location: NYC, NY | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious--where on earth did you see this book, as it isn't a version you commonly see laying about?

This was the Limited Editions Club printing, circa 1982, I think. Try http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL and fill out the proper fields, and you should come across several available copies of this title.

I rather want one myself, but it will have to wait for a while!

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This book was published in New York by The Limited Editions Club in 1982, only 2000 copies were published, each signed by Ray Bradbury and Joe Mugnaini, the illustrator. I own a copy. The really scarce edition was covered in asbestos and the copies literally fell apart after a few years. If you can find a copy it would likely sell for way over $10k in resonable shape. That is more than the going cost of the 1953 First Edition! Good hunting.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 07-29-2003).]

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a planned event this year to celebrate the anniversary of the first publishing of Fahrenheit 451?

Posts: 1 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 29 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an original asbestos copy of 'Fahrenheit 451' on ebay right now -- I've only ever seen three or four up for sale, and this one looks like the nicest of the lot. With an hour left in the auction, it's going for over $5000. Only 200 of these signed, numbered, and specially bound first hardback editions were printed in 1953 (in addition to 4300 trade hardbacks, also incredibly scarce), and apparently there are only about 100 left today, since the boards are incredibly brittle. The one up for auction looks just about perfect. I wish I could afford it! Check it out -- It's considered the "Holy Grail" of Bradbury collectibles:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3541126886&category=273

And yes, there's a special 50th anniversary edition of 'Fahrenheit 451' coming out in October. It's hardback, but I haven't seen the dust jacket art yet. Looking forward to it, though!

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg Miller:
I held a copy once, in Berkeley, California, 1972, at someone's house. But I remember it being whiter. The owner had a plastic cover that kept the cover intact, since it was crumbling a bit on the edges. I remember finding it on this particular person's bookcase, near the bottom shelf. I said, "Wow, an asbestos copy." He merely made a remark that he had had it for awhile. Wonder if that copy surivived the owner's nonchalance

Isn't it strange that Waukegan beachfront is contaminated with asbestos from John-Mansville Company, the same people who supplied the material for the Fahrenheit 451edition....?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard-

Now THAT is irony, and a darn shame, too.

Yes, I hope that copy survived, too! I've never held an asbestos copy, but from what I hear almost all of them have a tendency to crumble the way the one you held was. It's a shame.

Oddly enough, the auction for the one I linked above ended abruptly just a few moments before the end of bidding time. Maybe the seller wasn't happy with the price he was getting. Seems a bit strange.

All best,

Greg

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link to the eBay auction--I went over and checked it out. I feel quite certain that I will NEVER see this book in person--the auction photograph will have to do!

Does anyone know who is publishing the anniversary edition of 451? I haven't heard anything about it--whether it will contain any additional material, etc....

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome! I know, I doubt I'll ever hold a copy either -- certainly not one that I own, at any rate!

The 50th Anniversary Edition is listed on Amazon.com right now -- The cover art is pretty far from impressive (it's up now, too), but beyond that I'm still looking forward to picking up a copy. I believe it has a new introduction by Ray, so that will be something to look forward to.

I'm not sure who's publishing it -- Probably William Morrow, Ray's current publisher, but I'm sure Amazon has details.

Speaking of that, tomorrow's the day when Ray's 'Greatest Hits' comes out! I'll be at the bookstore then, no question...

All best,

Greg

posted Hide Post
So that was what all the "don't go in the water" and "I wouldn't eat a fish that came out of that" comments were about when I visited Waukegan! It was on that same trip that I saw an actual asbestos copy, in what appeared to be beautiful condition, and heard a funny story as to the condition of Ray's copy. I don't think I held it but did take a picture of it.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, Dandelion....
... what IS the funny story about the condition of Ray's asbestos edition of Fahrenheit?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The nice-looking copy belonged to a collector who chided Ray about his own copy looking ratty as the spine had fallen off--"Ray, that's terrible, you gotta do something about that." The next time he visited, he thought Ray had put the book on the shelf upside down, but upon removing it discovered he had actually glued the spine on upside down!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post