Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I posted this in the first folder also. i figure i could get more help in two
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I posted this in the first folder also. i figure i could get more help in two
 Login/Join

posted
First Story is about:
A family that moves into a new neighborhood. There name is sucra (or something like that) and all they eat is surgary things. They go to a carnival or a fair with other neighbors. They race home to miss the rain, but right before they get home the rain starts and they melt... i need the name of this story if you can help.

@. is a story about a planet where it is always raining. However every so many years it stops raing for an hour and the children can go out and play. This earthling is a immagrent to this planet and dreams of playing out side. Her school mates know about her and how much this would mean to her, so they lock her in the closet....

please email me or post the responce here.... thank you so much for you time and for reading my post

Marisa

Posts: 17 | Location: Staten Island, NY USA | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The second one is "All Summer in a Day," by Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
moonsunsky,
I don't know about that second one. It sounds pretty cool, but rings absolutely no Bradbury Bells.

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It have been told that it is Getting through Sunday, Somehow, in "long after midnight" have i read it yet? not yet, because its on its way from amazon.com

Posts: 17 | Location: Staten Island, NY USA | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The second is most definitely "All summer in a day" I saw your post I couldnt remember the title either but it seemed very familiar to me and then I remembered seeing a movie like that a long time ago ... I did a bit of research and it was a movie made in 1982. I've started looking for some older books I remember reading that were favorites but some I cant remember title or author!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well i remember reading the story in or around 1988... i was about 8 years then... And the story was homework... my mother read it to, to make sure i knew my work... she loved the story also!!! The next year my brother read it...

And to this day, when ever someone in my house doesnt wanna get wet in the rain, my mom will tell them, your not going to melt, like the sugar peopel....

its so fustrating!!

posted Hide Post
As posted elsewhere, it is NOT "Getting Through Sunday Somehow".

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a school textbook story, if it was homework assigned to a certain grade. (Was your brother a year behind you in school?)

Here are the best sources for identifying unknown titles and authors:

"Stump the Bookseller" at Loganberry Books, at www.logan.com/loganberry is the best. Due to overwhelming popularity and demand the site owner had to move the link from the front page (it now takes several clicks to reach the Stumper page) and charge $2.00 per stumper. Stumpers can be submitted via a form or e-mail. Solutions can be sent the same way, and sending any number of guesses or possible solutions is free.

Google groups, which can be accessed at www.deja.com and include:
rec.arts.books
rec.arts.books.childrens and
rec.arts.sf.written
There have been so many stories falsely attributed to Bradbury I have a whole Bradbury thread running there, which I plan to update with these latest soon, so if you're going to submit to any of these you probably don't want to bother with this one.

Booksleuth at www.abebooks.com
The Stumper list can be viewed by going from the main page to "Reading Room" and from that to the Booksleuth area. They don't charge. They might post your stumper and they might not. (The others post ALL properly-submitted stumpers.) They don't allow for questions, such as "did your story have a--" which has helped narrow down and even identify many a story on the other sites. Any guess, no matter how far off, is posted as a "solution." If it's wrong you have to reapply to have your stumper reposted. I haven't checked back there lately but have had moderate luck with them, and they're helpful in having a broad international readership. The e-mail address is
booksleuth@abebooks.com

ExLibris, the Lost Boards, at MSN groups. Founded as a replacement for the legendary Alibris message boards, you have to join the group to receive the postings of questions and answers regarding identifying, collecting, selling, repairing, and maintaining books. A wonderful list with fine individuals but not widely known, to which I have also submitted non-Bradbury story IDs.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i read the second one in a 7th grade reading textbook. the girl's name who was locked in a closet was margot, if that helps any. i never realized it was bradbury, though.

[This message has been edited by kwyjibrago (edited 07-02-2003).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Thanmk you everyone! I now know that the second story was All Summer in A day!

The first story isnt one of no name stories in school text book. i was a story the teacher had photo copied from an older book that she owned... and i really thought that the story was from bradbury.... and untill i find out eho did indeed write the story, in my heart it will be bradbury. And if i do found out that it isnt Bradbury, i will disappointed but releved.

I'm hoping to find it and be able to have it by Sept 13... My moms birthday.... it would be a mice present!

posted Hide Post
I looked on Logenberry's stump the book seller page and typed in sugar people melt in rain... and got two results,,, eacg had 100+ listings. maybe someone out there can search stump the bookseller better then me.. because im not sure how to navigate that site well.. If anyone has spare time and would like to help. i would be so grateful.

Marisa

posted Hide Post
Yes, the frustrating thing about the Loganberry site is there is no good system of organization by story elements or subjects. Often two or more people will post descriptions of the same story, and diehard stumper solvers basically have to read every description on there, and then remember them! I haven't read all the latest there, but the only thing I remember remotely like the sugar people story was about jelly babies who went to the seaside and got their legs stuck together. I'm pretty sure no story like yours has appeared there.

posted Hide Post
As a teacher I know that I have taught that story and that it is in a text I used years ago! I can't remember the author and as it's summer vacation all my text's are at school! If you give me a few weeks I could try to get you the info!

Posts: 4 | Location: sylmar,CA, USA | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, im would love to have that story again. i will wait years to find out the story so a few weeks wont make a difference.

just dont forget me when school starts

posted Hide Post
I have also not forgotten having promised to post the latest non-Bradbury story additions to the usual places.