Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Martian Chronicles

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Martian Chronicles
 Login/Join

posted
I belive that this is Bradbury's best work (or works really). I do still wonder why he got rid of "The fire Ballons" from the back after a few years. Anyway it is all 100% Bradbury

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, The Bradbury Fan, and welcome to the board.

We have it on good authority (authors Eller and Touponce in a book called Ray Bradbury: The Life Of Fiction), that Bradbury sometimes feels the need to tinker with the contents of his books even after they have gone to press. In the case of The Martian Chronicles, there are two stories that have dipped in and out of the book over the years, "The Fire Balloons" and "Usher II". Bradbury had a whole raft of martian stories to choose from when compiling the book, and had some second thoughts about which stories best fit the book as a whole.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prognosticators would learn much from MC before allowing astronauts to go venturing out:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/201...c/us_one_way_to_mars

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a nine-page, type-written manuscript for a short story among my late father's papers that I believe to be an unpublished story from "The Martian Chronicles". It is entitled "Dark They Were, And Golden Eyed" and Ray Bradbury's name appears typewritten below the title, though it is unsigned. How it came into my father's possession is something of a mystery, but I believe it to be genuine. Certainly my father didn't write it. He was not a writer and, in any case, never had any particularly interest in science fiction. I tried to attach it to this message board but couldn't manage to do it. I suppose it is simply to large. If anyone can shed any light on the legitimacy of this manuscript I would appreciate it. I would be happy to email a copy of the scanned manuscript to anyone who is interested in reading it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Tappan, N.Y. USA | Registered: 15 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert, and welcome to the board.

Bradbury did indeed write a Martian story with that title, although it is NOT unpublished. It wasn't in The Martian Chronicles, but it has appeared in several of his short story collections:

S is for Space
A Medicine for Melancholy
The Day it Rained Forever
Twice 22
The Stories of Ray Bradbury

If you would care to email your scan to me, I will cast my expert eye over it and let you know whether it looks like a genuine Bradbury manuscript. You can contact me at:
phil at bradburymedia dot co dot uk

(Replace at with @ and dots with . )

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be happy to email a copy of the scanned manuscript to anyone who is interested in reading it.

Interested! forrestjbradbury at gmail dot com - thanks!

I could perhaps show it to Mr B and ask him.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Guttman, I'm also interested, when you get the chance. And thank you in advance.

fjp451 wrote
quote:
The prognosticators would learn much from MC before allowing astronauts to go venturing out

A Ray Bradbury martian story they should read is "Fly Away Home" in We'll Always Have Paris. This martian story missed being included in the Subterreanean&PS MC: The Complete Edition, but "Dark They Were, And Golden Eyed" did. When/If RAY BRADBURY'S LOST MARS tv series gets produced, I hope one or both of these stories is included.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
roz2 on sol 4 at att dot net

I'd be happy to oblige, but your email address (roz2 on sol 4 at att dot net) doesn't seem to work. Perhaps I'm simply not copying it correctly.

Posts: 2 | Location: Tappan, N.Y. USA | Registered: 15 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Guttman,
Please try without the spaces. If this does not work, thank you kindly for the effort.
Update: email arrived a short while ago. Thank You!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post