New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euphoria Box?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Everbody,

I have something that is driving me crazy. Or at least making me think I am going crazy.

Could swear there is an RB story called the Euphoria Box or at least is about such a device. The story is about a device that once switched on causes anyone receiving the broadcast to become completely blissed out, lose track of time and basically all human activity ceases because everyone is so happy and oblivious to what is going on around them. That is until a storm knocks the power out for a moment and everyone realizes what is happening. That is until the power comes back on before the device can be shut off and puts everyone back into a zombified state again.

It seems to either take a poke at the mind numbing state produced by television and other broadcasts or speculates on the existence of such a device in the near future.

Cannot seem to find this story and I want to read it again and share it with my kids. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Also want to know when was the story written if it does exist.

Thanks,

c:s

Posts: 1 | Registered: 20 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't strike a chord with me, I'm afraid. The closest I can think of is "The Happiness Machine", which Leo Auffman tries to build in Dandelion Wine. It doesn't have anything to do with a broadcast, though, as far as I recall.(Auffman eventually realises that his family is a happiness machine, so he doesn't have to invent one.)

Mix in a bit of Bradbury's story "The Pedestrian" and a couple of chapters of Fahrenheit 451 and you've got something similar to what you describe - but not in a simple story, nor with your Euphoria title.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post