Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Does anyone know the title of this story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know the title of this story?
 Login/Join

posted
The story is about a boy who falls in love with his teacher.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 30 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it? Any more details you can provide?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Story of Love" in the collection LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Trust your doctor.

-- Doc

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis IN USA | Registered: 29 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about The Emissary, a similar plot with a macabre ending!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
That's it? Any more details you can provide?
A short story of this was published in Reader's Digest in 1982 or 1983.The ending of the story is about the boy,now a man, returning to his hometown.He discovers his teacher died and comments now we would be the same age.This is all I remember,as I was a kid the last time I read this.

posted Hide Post
Hummerfly--

It's "A Story of Love" in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Again, trust me on this: I just re-read the story over the weekend.

-- Doc

Posts: 16 | Location: Indianapolis IN USA | Registered: 29 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Saguaro:
Hummerfly--

It's "A Story of Love" in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Again, trust me on this: I just re-read the story over the weekend.

-- Doc
Thanks a million,Doc!Just ordered a copy from Amazon.

posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it!

Other stories in the collection I really recommend:

The Blue Bottle
One Timeless Spring
The Burning Man
Have I Got a Chocolate Bar for You
Forever and the Earth (one of my top 5 faves)

In fact, story for story it's one of Bradbury's best collections---definitely more hits and misses.

(Even then, a bad Bradbury collection is still leagues ahead of most other author's "best of" collections.)

-- Doc

posted Hide Post
Well, the guy who had the cover tattooed on his back should be glad to learn the collection is one of the best.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion--

I admit I've always been partial to LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT as it was the first Bradbury collection I read after THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES (unless you consider TMC a novel).

The collection is a good mix of Bradbury themes and interests: Mars, Green Town, Ireland, Hemingway, Wolfe, the past, the future. . .

You name it--it seems to be in the collection.

Your response makes me think about THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and my mixed feelings about it.

I read it just after the first time I read SOMETHING WICKED. The title made me think it was a continuation (or even a prequel) of Mr. Dark in the former. Imagine my disappointment. Likewise, despite some critics placing it as a novel, it just seemed too disjointed to ever hook up correctly in my imagination.

That being said, I still enjoy "The Exiles."

And the mid-1970s Bantam cover is one of the coolest SF paintings I have ever seen.

-- Doc

posted Hide Post
Some critic once said unkindly of "Forever and the Earth" that those who brought Thomas Wolfe to the future would have had to bring Maxwell Perkins, too. (I can see the sequel--"For Edit and the Earth"--not quite as engaging, somehow.) Actually, Wolfe himself objected to the idea that his writing was rambling and his prose undisciplined. He was about ready to write some non-Perkins-edited material to prove it when he met his untimely demise.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been a Wolfe fan myself due to the length of his prose (life is too short for some things Ha Ha).

What I intially liked about "Forever and the Earth" was that it was the first time I was exposed to writer-as-character and using a non-SF writer in an SF story at that!

As I became older I came to enjoy the story for its own merits--it's obvious Bradbury enjoyed Wolfe (his enthusiasm cries out in every sentence the old man utters). And the choice Wolfe has to make: to knowingly die so that the future he writes about can still come to pass. And that "epilogue" �

No matter how many months/years go by, the ending still moves me. The only non-Bradbury stories that ever moved me as much were Ellison's "Repent Harlequin" and Vonnegut's "Who Am I This Time?"

-- Doc