Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Panic Room.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Panic Room.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Lovely snowflakes, they fall nowhere else!

Sitting peacefully, doing nothing.
Spring comes, and the grass grows all by itself.

No clinging, no seeking.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WildGravity, I feel your pain! It's almost as bad when a female friend gets married and other female friends get all over your case to include her husband--some jerk you don't know from a hole in the ground--in everything--and acting like they *assume* you don't even *intend* to. Your friend's wife may not even be distrustful, just jealous and possessive. I wonder if some women don't display these traits in a relationship and it all comes out after they're married, or if guys don't notice, or do notice and don't care. They may even like it to some extent but I imagine it gets real old real fast. Luckily if I have to call up a guy for business, any attitude I get from his wife is usually because she thinks I'm some stranger selling something over the phone! How many calls these days come from someone you know?

I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in my main male friend romantically--but have often wondered WHAT I'D DO if he did get serious or married! So far God has been merciful.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, fjp, a zenlike approach is called for....in everything. (& I do mean everything)

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reaction to my little poem? I don't know who wrote it, but it was well-known enough to be parodied on "Rocky and Bullwinkle" around 1960!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right. Do unto others, BrII! It so often pays dividends on the front end of the exchange.

Last week, I cut a portion of a tree down and hauled the wood and leaves to clear the lawn of an elderly neighbor. She usually has a crew of men do things for her to keep her scrubs and lawn up to snuff. The wind had damaged the flowering crab late this spring. She came out half way through my efforts and offered me some compensation, which, of course, I told her would not be allowed. (Without a doubt the cost to her would have been substantial if billed.)

My boys helped move some of the limbs and raked a bit, though playing catch seemed their priority at the time. When I was done, I realized that the 30 minutes anticipated to get the job done had proved to be nearly two hours. My own home chores remained undone and the sun was setting.

Folks on our street had stopped their walks to say hello and throw a few pitches to the boys. A couple of dogs also came by to receive a bisquit from their pals wearing baseball gloves and NY hats. So, what of it???

Homemade chicken soup with fresh cut vegetables was our dinner the next night...compliments of our kind neighbor across the street. And she also offered me the wood. A wonderful fragrance eminates from a fireplace when aged apple logs are the fuel.

"...do something quick!" YES. Even if it does call for more time than planned. It takes the mind off "I" and places it on someone who is in need and then grateful. What better gift than a sincere "thank you!"

Small town stuff...huh?!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one, Butch!
I wonder if anyone would even think of writing such a poem today, much less the chance of its becoming popular!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SD ~ It's the "dinosaur syndrome." If it isn't PG-13, loud, techno driven, brand-spanking-new, the most expensive, undressed to some extent, sugarloaded, set to a boomchukaboomchukaboom beat, or spewing blood in all directions...it can't be any good.

Thus, our family celebrates its first full year without the big tube buzzing in the background, all day and all night.

(Play ball! Whose turn is it to read?)

posted Hide Post
Frank, a whole year, amazing! And last night I sat watching, in order, 1) Wheel of Fortune, 2) Jeopardy, 3) Thank God You're Here, 4) Criminal Minds, 5) CSI: New York, 6) the 11:00 PM news, and 7) a portion of Letterman. So that was 7 PM to almost midnight. Five hours. Oh, yeah, I read in my book during commercials while my wife worked creating a wedding gift. She is a scrap booker and does beautiful work, truly art.

And what did I get accomplished? Nothing much.

After my first wife and I divorced I did not have a television for four years. Four years without a TV and I survived. And now I am wrapped up in these silly shows, most of which are so graphic that my wife won't watch them.

Do I have other things to do with my time? You betcha! I like to paint (artistically not walls), read, and do wood working (although in our condo I am somewhat restricted as to what projects I can work on) so why am I wasting my time on TV? Good question. I applaud your efforts with your two sons and I am sure that your wife appreciates it as well.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent story telling fjp! With a moral to boot. Also very nice poem B-Two, I liked. I heard Wheel Of Fortune was very good last night.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After Vanna stopped actually turning the letters and technology lit up the choices, I went cold turkey and never watched again!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

posted Hide Post
I still fancy the original version of the show, when Vanna came out with hammer and chisel and chipped away the letters from blocks of stone.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When are they going to start calling her Vanna Grey?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are sure hard on poor Vanna...(lol)

TV: Network comedies, Dancing With the Stars, American Idol, Lost?

Not a chance. I don't watch that junk. NFL, Discovery Channel, History Channel, and AMC, mostly.
I used to watch a lot more of the Sci-Fi channel, but I got tired of them recycling different monsters with the same basic storylines. ('Sci-Fi Channel Original Movie!')

I finally sent them an email: 'I think you've killed all the monsters now. Maybe it's time to move on to some actual science fiction'.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched "The Bad Seed" (DVD) and listened to "The Shadow - Lost Episodes" while watering the garden.

posted Hide Post
Nard:
Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang-Bang "W I L M A! OPEN THE DOOR!!"