Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Panic Room.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Panic Room.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Man. I'm having the weirdest time with my laptop tonight. My post attempts keep evaporating before I'm through.

I'm glad to have found the Panic Room. I put my feet up in a comfy corner and popped open a nice, cold beer. I hope you can tell me about the Karma thing?

Thanks.

Priory

Posts: 27 | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I was halfway in a panic about whether I could have made a living as a professional writer even back in a day and age when people knew or cared how to read, or whether I've spent 40 years training to find I'm not good enough for a profession going the way of the dinosaur anyway, and then along came this book-burning guy!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, scary. ...and the line from "The Pedestrain":

When asked by the mechanical police, "Business or profession?"

Mr. Mead says of his livelihood, "I guess you'd call me a writer."

"No profession," said the police car as if talking to itself.

(Ray Bradbury~again, prophetic.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, when I first read that story, long ago, that "no profession" line jarred me.
I've recalled it a lot since.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking of the poor mad exiled wizards of Mars.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, Dandy, one of my favourites. I just had to read it again last night. Mr. B's deep love for these authors and his deep concern for our atrophying imaginations really comes through. And what writing!

"The captain walked to a port. He smelled of menthol and iodine and green soap on his polished and manicured hands. His white teeth were dentifriced, and his ears scoured to a pinkness, as were his cheeks. His uniform was the color of new salt, and his boots were black mirrors shining below him. His crisp crewcut hair smelled of sharp alcohol. Even his breath was sharp and new and clean. There was no spot to him. He was a fresh instrument, honed and ready, still hot from the surgeon's oven."

Now that's writing!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read the story yesterday, purely by chance, mind (it was the next story in the book I'm currently reading, The Illustrated Man), and was also struck by the writing and imagery.

A classic! But aren't they all?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dentifriced is a good word!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having read "The Long Rain" so many times, I was going to skip over it, but just glancing at the first page drew me in!
I always notice some new brilliance in his writing every time I re-read one of his stories!

posted Hide Post
Well put B-Two! Now, we just need to get Chapter-31 back here to make that "special" lemonade of his, you know the kind where you hear the tinkling of the ice and the sound of distant thunder which ushers eventual rain and a certain smile to your lips. Maybe we could just dispense with the lemonade and go straight for the dandelion wine perhaps....

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Spock on a trolley!” A couple years back I wrote a paragraph about the lonely theater lobby where there were no attendants and you used a card for everything. Well it’s here. Its called “Theater Tickets.Card”. Here’s a link to the paragraph:

https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/67910839...211007161#1211007161

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Chap! I thought you might still be here in the Panic Room somewhere. Was it really 2 years ago you wroe about the Lonely Lobby?
Anyway, glad you're back.
Did you bring your "Pogo" collection with you?

posted Hide Post
Yes, with Owl and Eyor—err, Albert and all the other natural born good ol’ U.S. of A gang. “I Go Pogo”. Pogo for president in '08! Walt Kelly rules!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good! At Christmastime, let's have a flaming rum punch. No, it’s not cold enough for that. Not nearly cold enough . . . Wait a minute . . . wait a minute . . . I got it. Mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon and light on the cloves. Well, whatever we have, we can all sing "Deck Us All With Boston Charlie"!

posted Hide Post
I vant a visky!