Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Panic Room.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Panic Room.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
WG, scroll up a bit to my 7:28 am post...

Oh I see it.

It was very helpfull thank you.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t visited this post in quite some time! In my daily frivolities I had almost forgotten about it entirely, and with such thoughtful responses, I feel terrible about doing so.

So I thought I’d take the time to responde to each individually. Maybe catch up some!

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
I have never found great difficulty becoming close friends with males..

That's because you (sound like you) are cool, and that's a rarity in females, almost like a male in a female body (all the fun, none of the baggage).

For the most part, females tend to be suspicious (of your relationships with other females), overly emotional, clingy, etcetera. At least I have found this to be true.

When you find that rare treasure of a girl who acts like a guy and looks like a girl, then you've found something!

I appreciate the thoughtful remarks, Doug (not sure if you want me to use your first name on the board!) but, if this is indeed true, its difficult representing myself correctly to other people correctly, and equally so being recognized appropriately. Many girls, (at least at my age, I’m rather young.) at least from what I’ve seen, have difficulty cultivating platonic relationships with men, (or boys as the case may be!) Without any kind of sexual, or romantic relation. There are girls my age who can, (as I am one of them) but often times (more often then I should like to say) they are not recognized by their female peers, because those girls themselves do not cultivate those kinds of relationships. I hope no one is offended at my over generalization, I realize this isn’t the case for every woman (especially someone as atypical and cool as dandelion!) but for some it is. They begin to assume the worst when they are dating your friend.

I’ve mulled over numerous reasons for why this may be, Doug, but in the end all I can chalk it up to is jealousy, and fear of being… I don’t know, left. It’s difficult when you’ve lost such a close friend to petty games of Jealousy.

quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
....but YOU are Maggie the cat. Your resilience and tenacity can only push you onward to something and someone better. Your young also, this will be nothing but a blip on the screen of your life someday soon.

Maggie the Cat is ALIVE and she is on the prowl!

Thank you for the reassurance, I appreciate greatly, but it is difficult, when you imagined that you and this individual would remain a constant in your life.

quote:
TRY to let it go, try hard. Your holding on, relaxe your hold on it.

With Time, Rocket, with time.

quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
WildGravity, I feel your pain! It's almost as bad when a female friend gets married and other female friends get all over your case to include her husband--some jerk you don't know from a hole in the ground--in everything--and acting like they *assume* you don't even *intend* to. Your friend's wife may not even be distrustful, just jealous and possessive. I wonder if some women don't display these traits in a relationship and it all comes out after they're married, or if guys don't notice, or do notice and don't care. They may even like it to some extent but I imagine it gets real old real fast. Luckily if I have to call up a guy for business, any attitude I get from his wife is usually because she thinks I'm some stranger selling something over the phone! How many calls these days come from someone you know?

I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in my main male friend romantically--but have often wondered WHAT I'D DO if he did get serious or married! So far God has been merciful.

I know! Isn’t that the worst? Or when Your good friend insists her counterpart be included in everything, and either he’s a pig, (rude and unruly, but not in the charming way) or he has the personality of a rock, and you cannot, for the life of you, have any amount of fun with your girlfriend while he’s around, because he’s either so loud and obnoxious it makes you want to vomit, or he’s so dull you have difficulty staying awake when he’s around!

My friends wife has never cared for my presence regarding her husband. At one time we were very close. But she felt that, (obviously being the sun of the universe) the relationship was getting a little crowded (guess who didn’t belong) and threw many temper-tantrums about it.

I know exactly what you mean. She treats me the same way, and more often then not if I have some kind of message to give him, unless I give it to him directly, I had better forget about it, (I don’t believe a single message I gave to her for him has ever gotten to him)
Finally I just gave up.

Its difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
No reaction to my little poem? I don't know who wrote it, but it was well-known enough to be parodied on "Rocky and Bullwinkle" around 1960!

I called two girls pretty yesterday because of it! They were too….

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate the thoughtful remarks, Doug (not sure if you want me to use your first name on the board!)...

Use away! I am, and always will be John.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aaaah. Its nice and cool in here finally and dim too. I feel so comfortable, starting to fall asleep. Hand me that lemonade please, the tinkling of the ice has made me thirsty. Who is next to tell a story?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Blevins is raising his hand, I think. He's the one over there with his other arm fraternally draped over Nard's shoulder...

(Where did I put my pipe now?)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did somone say Pip? I think he went to get a werry old bottle of champipple from Miss Hamisham's. Said what he'd be back in two shakes of a lambs tail he did.

(Oh, pipe, there went that joke nosediving into no man's land like snoopy's doghouse on fire.)

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did somone say Pip? I think he went to get a werry old bottle of champipple from Miss Hamisham's. Said what he'd be back in two shakes of a lambs tail he did.

(Oh, pipe, there went that joke nosediving into no man's land like snoopy's doghouse on fire.)

Rocket, you gotta lose the AOL address.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may need a more powerful concoction to really get past what's been worrying me.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awww. Here, put your head on my shoulder and tell Uncle all about it...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks...been all hung up on spring, and...things.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the song says (my favourite rendition being by Betty Carter), "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most".

posted Hide Post
I started reading short stories by Ray Bradbury in my english class and really anjoyed his writing. If anyone could respond to my email account (BlueSkiesFromPain6@hotmail.com) and tell me which novel I should start with and why (don't give me too many details). Thanks Alot!!

-Amanda

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amanda, you've come to the Panic Room with this question? Well, then, I guess we can wake people up here to help you...
If it's a novel you want to start with, I'd suggest "Dandelion Wine", "Something Wicked This Way Comes" or (what seems to be the most discussed, in schools anyway) "Fahrenheit 451". It'd be difficult to choose from the master's Short Story collections, though I believe I began with "R Is For Rocket". I think "The Illustrated Man" or "Martian Chronicles", which are short stories with "connectors" are good to start with, too.
Anyone else want to help?

posted Hide Post
Just 10 minutes ago, Mr. Jonas saved Douglas!! Dandelion Wine concluded aloud in frosh lit. Poetic narration...right, BrII.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling is right. Definitely The Illustrated Man. it was really great. over and over and over. Reminds me of the blue man in The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Priory

Posts: 27 | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post