Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Fireman vs. The Martians

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Fireman vs. The Martians
 Login/Join

posted
Which book do you think is better? I personally will go with The Martian Chronicles.

Posts: 26 | Location: The Motherland | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This response will sound like a cop-out, but it depends on how you define "best".

Farenheit 451 seems best, if you're looking at how literature can have a direct influence over the thinking of the directions society is going or ought to go. It raised critical issues of what brings value in individual human life and in what the role of censorship is in a society and whether or not there are legitimate reasons to censor materials. The dialog is unforgettable, and some characters (Montag, Clarisse, Faber, Beatty) are very real.

Martian Chronicles does an amazing job of taking stories that are totally unbelievable and making them believable. The poetry of the writing and the human emotion they portray (in rather bizarre settings) are amazing. The abilily of this book to sequence human trips to Mars and make them seem like history, rather than fantasy, is also impressive. Also, this book is just a very, very good read.

I love them both. Which is best? I think it depends on what you're looking for.

Question back . . . what are your reasons for preferring Martian Chronicles? This is not a snotty question, I'm interested in what you think made it the better book. I think either argument can be made -- depending on the criteria.

When I was in 9th grade, I read F451 and got turned on to ideas. I then read Martian Chronicles and Somthing Wicked this Way Comes and was a converted reader. So they are all, in my mind, great books.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 09-24-2002).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark: Yes, F451 hits the mark socially and critically with unparalleled characters (Montag, Clarisse, Beatty, Mildred, and that terrifying mechanical dog!!) The book speaks as loudly today as it did 50 years ago. Maybe we should listen even more carefully to the messages. As for the metaphors and allusions within the plot, does any other RB work, come even close to what is included in this book!?

The Martian Chronicles, on the other hand, is as poetic and magnificently imaginative a piece of literature as has been published in contemporary English. Emotionally moving at times!

Magical landscapes, Martians with dark skin and golden eyes, those delicate architectural designs, the ancient books, relationships of Men and Martians, the wine-colored rivers....wow! And the philosphical undertones that are related throughout on so many topics.

The interesting thing to consider is that both books end with a hint of optimism of things yet to come:
451 - Montag walking to the city with thoughts and insprirations (finally) of his own.
MC - The family members having the (million year) picnic at the edge of the canals accepting their roles as pioneers on this new world. A chance to do things right this time?

Both pure and classic Mr. Bradbury!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both books are amazing. 451 rocks the house but something about the Chronicles just pulls me in. I can't stop reading it when I start. I have read it five times in the last six years. I am sorry but I really can't give you a good reason as to why I chose the Chronicles.

Posts: 26 | Location: The Motherland | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you chose MC because it is just such a fantastic read! I love reading it.

Loved fjpalumbo's comments, also.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Change gears a moment:

What has had more influence:

'''The Martian Chronicles'''
or
'''Fahrenheit 451'''

??

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chronicles rocks man.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at classroom assignments alone (HS and college) I think F451 has more influence. I think it may be that MC is more beloved. The stories and language are -- to use a phrase I don't use much in real life -- lovely. It is poetic to a level that I sometimes feel like I'm in a kind of dreamstate or quietly foggy meadow when I'm reading it.

posted Hide Post
Definately The Martian Chronicles! It's still poetic, mystical, and adventurous. WQith a serious message behind it.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post